Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Stevenson Hi, I need to illustrate the inter-relationship between risk assessment and competence for an OH&S MSc I'm undertaking. I'm happy doing this and I have formed a viable discussion based on theory, but I need some credible examples. Please can someone direct me to some cases where lack of competence has resulted in a poor Risk Assessment being undertaken. Kind Regards Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2003 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachel Valentine Dave, Try getting hold of a book called "Learning from Accidents" by Trevor Kletz. Its a systematic breakdown of some of the worlds worst accidents /incidents. Not surprisingly Risk Assessment and Competence are contributory factors that come up time and time again. It’s mainly based around the higher hazard industries (i.e. chemical, petrochemical and nuclear), but the fundamentals can be easily carried out and put into other scenarios. Hope this helps. Rachel
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge Dave I not sure this is exactly what you want but the fire service have to make running risk assessments, we term these as dynamic assessments. To be competent to make such dynamic assessments we employ competency based assessments at regular stages of service career.As an example fire fighters undergo 13 weeks of basic skills training then prior to any promotion assessments are made of their ability. Currently within the British fire service even the Chief Fier Officer has to undergo this assessment procedure. Its worth noting that the decisions made following these assessments can be life or death decisions.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2003 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson You might want to consider the case of the Metropolitam Police Commisioners, past and present, who were tried for breaches of HSAWA, etc, when on several occasions officers fell through roofs / skylights.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump I have raised this issue as a concern at my workplace. There are several staff at my workplace carrying out risk assessments after attending a one day course, they have recieved no other health and safety training. I am the union health and safety staff rep and have completed the stage two reps course and a NEBOSH general certificate. When looking at some of the assessments that have been carried out it is obvious that they do not know what they are doing,(not their fault). Several of the assessors appear to be confused over the difference between a hazard and a risk, they ommit the control measures and seldom if ever formulat a safe system of work, that is another area of confusion. The other major failing is that those staff affected by the hazards are not informed of the findings from the risk assessments. Could members answer the following questions. If an accident occurs because of an inadequate assessment would any blame be attributed to the assessor? Does any one think that a one day course is adequate for risk assessors? Should the company be able to force staff to become risk assessors?