Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Clay I need some guidance on what constitutes a sufficient vdu eye test. We have used a opticians locally in the past who did a thorough eye examination. We then moved to an occupational health service who carried these out. The OHS did a very diminished eye test which has caused concerns in employees. I know the regulations state that a test should be done in accordance with the Opticians act 1989, but I cannot find a specific list of what should be tested in an eye examination. Any information please.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2003 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser With reference to the Opticians Act 1989, it would be my interpretation that as long as your test provider is medically qualified and/or a registered opthalmic optitian (s24), then the tests they perform are acceptable where they check for signs of injury, disease or abnormality of the eye and then provide a written statement (s26). I'm not aware of any specific testing criteria laid down by the Secretary of State although the Act does provide for this. It may be that your previous optician was doing a more extensive test than your current provider but both are probably well within the law - they have just set their own standards to apply. In the end, using legal acceptability as your base, it comes down to the balance between risk and cost!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Some guidance on what constitutes a test is given in paras 71-75 of L26 'Work with Display Screen Equipment' (including the small-print foot-note). It would be worth checking that they are actually testing eyes and eyesight and not just eyesight or even just vision screening (to be followed by testing where referral is indicated).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lisa Fowlie Ian, I suggest you ask your OHS to identify specifically what test they are providing and who is undertaking it. They may then identify that they are undertaking 'vision screening tests' which are not 'eye and eyesight' tests and do not comply with the regulations. Our Occ Health provide a Keystone eye screening test but all individuals still have the option to request a full eye and eyesight test from an appropriate person (as below) They may also identify that they are not using a registered opthalmic optician or a registered medical practioner (preferably with suitable qualifications) which they should be under the guidance to the Regs. We actually get the opticians to complete and sign a form that indicates that the optician is aware of and complying with the visual standard for vdu use recommended by the Association of Optometrists. www.assoc-optometrists.org Also there was a statement of good practice concerning eye tests for dse workers issued by The College for Optometrists www.college-optometrists.org Hope that is of some help. Have a nice day - sunny again in Wales. Regards, Lisa.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2003 22:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wynn May I suggest you contact Specsavers, they do a corporate eyecare package. £35 which includes an eye test & specs which are suitable & sufficient for the task. Not geeky NHS types either. As per regs. 450 plus branches nationwide, not bad eh! Contact: 02380 626900 (corporate eyecare) or your local branch. Hope this helps. Dave.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2003 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen If I remember rightly, according to the DSE regs keystone test which can be carried out by occ.health centres is adequate in order to meet the requirements of the regs in terms of confirming that the user has had their eyes tested and that records have been kept. However, there is a proviso in the regs which allows for the user to request a full examination to be carried out by a opthalmic optician at the expense of the employer.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2003 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor HSE's Guidance to the DSE Regs says that vision screening does not satisfy the DSE Regs but employers may wish to offer vision screening 'as an extra' but that they must provide the full eye and eyesight test to users who choose it before or after vision screening.