Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2003 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Just wondering if anyone, particularly involved with LEA's knows anything about this. I have an A-Z listing of the typical illnesses that children get at schools, nurseries etc and I see that some are calssified as "notifiable" including Diarrhoea and Vomiting (Campylobacter, Cryptosporidiosis, Dysentery etc). However, this listing, although describing Chickenpox and Shingles, does not include both as "notifiable". Anyone shed any light on this. Do the schools provide such statistics to the local EHO?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Notifiable infectious diseases are those that are required to be notified to the Local/Health Authority Proper Officer - usually a Consultant in Communicable Disease Control. The reasons are threefold a) to monitor trends b)to have early warning of outbreaks c) to prevent spread. Two bits of legislation define what is notifiable; the Public Health(Control of Disease)Act 1984 and the Public Health (Infectious Diseases) Reg 1988.There may also be other voluntary reporting schemes in your area. You can get more detailed advice from the Infection Control department at your local Acute Trust. Hope that helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Chicken Pox and Shingles by the way are not classed as notifiable - unless local arrangements say different.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2003 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Thanks. So you simply report it to your local authority but not the EHO?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2003 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bruce Campbell Tony, in practice reporting a communicable disease to the Local Authority, invariably means it lands on the EHO's desk. They are generally the only people within those organisations with the qualification/experience or indeed desire to investigate.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Vaid point. That clears that one up. Thanks all.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2003 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett When we had to deal with TB followed by dysentery (thankfully not suffered by the same person!) we were told that the notification/reporting of infectious disease to all relevant agencies is handled by the GP or hospital as a matter of routine. This means, for instance, that people requiring prophylactic antibiotics can be contacted. I've not heard of schools having to do the reporting - but would be interested to hear if this is how it works in other LEAs.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In a local authority where I once worked, the EH Department arranged with the Education Department for direct notification by schools to them. I'm not sure of how well this worked.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2003 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Here's a snippet 4 u. If the LA prevents someone from returning to work because they have a CD but in all other aspects are fit eg Food poisoning but recoverd but still a carrier then the LA must pick up the tab for the wages, its in statute.