Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2003 06:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Haroon Rasheed Tabani Recently few of our employees complaint about severe backache caused during maunally opening and closing of high pressurised valves. Not all valves are located at normal human height levels which resulted in the poor posture of the operator in addition to excessive repetative movement of valves in a static position. Can anyone please guide me that whether valves opening and closing does constitute a manual handling operation or not? What precautions need to be taken to avoid or minimise the risk of injury during a valve operations? With regards H. Tabani Safety Manager Hub Power Station
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2003 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I would regard this as being a manual handling operation certainly. It involves using force and has the potential of twisting the body. At the very least it is an ergonomic issue and should be dealt with as such. Recommend that the valves are either moved to a better height or proper access equipment is provided. You could then add a handle to the valve or perhaps a multiplier tool so that the pressure exerted is substantially less. However, all this will have to be done following a suitable and sufficient risk assessment of the task. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2003 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Strictly speaking this is not manual handling under the regulations - but I agree with Hilary (we'll have to put a stop to this Hilary!) you still need to look at ways of reducing the effort involved. To widen the debate a little, surely I'm not the only one who disagrees with the definition of manual handling in the guidance? Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Some of the large penstock valves can take an hour or more to operate. This is a repetative push-pull often using considerable force and should therefore be regarded as a manual handling operation. High level valves can be fitted with chain wheels, with geared actuators if large or if of the 90degree turn type. There are also portable, hand held pneumatic or electric motor drives available with attachments for most types of valve wheels.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Agree entirely John, which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the definition in the MH regs.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2003 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Paragraphs 16, 17 & 18 has guidance on what constitutes manual handling i.e. in "Manual handling : Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 : guidance on regulations"HSE Guidance L 23 Para 18 states:- The application of human effort for a purpose other than transporting or supporting a load does not constitute a manual handling operation. For example turning the starting handle of an engine or lifting a control lever on a machine is not manual handling, nor is the action of pulling on a rope while lashing down cargo on the back of a vehicle. From a health & safety perspective, the hazard (of back and limb disorders/injuries)has to be reduced/managed. Better maintenance, especially lubrication & cleaning may help as valves in such locations can be "out of sight-out of mind" until someone has to isolate them--usually on on a rare occasion. Motorised versions can help,but in some cases, only manually oprated valves are specified. Unfortunately, in the real world, operating positions oif some of these valves can be difficult, especially when modifications have been made to accomodate expansion of facilities.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2003 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner I agree that it may not be "true" manual handling, however the risk of injury is foreseeable, therefore something needs to be done. Having served an apprenticeship and worked in the power industry (all be it some time ago!)I can understand the issue being discussed. Deciding upon the control measures will not be as simple as first thought, as I can recall there being a lot of manually operated valves such as the one in question in a power station environment. However in saying this, I am sure that a simple solution can be found by adopting normal risk reduction techniques.It may require a short term fix, whilst planning and deciding upon a long term one.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2003 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson The technical definition is irrelevant, you will still need to complete a risk assessment of the task and identify appropriate control measures to minimise risk. perhaps the most convenient format for the risk assessment is your standard manual handling form, but don't get hung up on definitions.