Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2003 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Hall Can anyone help with information regarding hazards of nanoparticles and suitable control measures? I have been asked to advise on precautions for small scale production and use of particles sized 3 to 5 nanometers of materials that are toxic. Thanks, Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Good luck Richard as i dare not comment on this subject (knowing my limitations) but keenly await the results of your posting. This sounds a B**ch of a predicament Sounds like star trek talk to me LOL
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson If you have brought this on site then the supplier is obliged to provide you with the relevant safety data sheet if you produce it then you will have to classify if not already done so (Chemical Hazard, Information and packaging (CHIP). If so then a COSHH assessment will have to be undertaken to ascertion the control measures to protect the persons or environment with which it may come into contact with, this should be to the lowest level which you reasonably can. dont forget the whole lifestyle approach from procurment, movement, storage, use, re-use, recycle, reclaim and dispose under both H&S and Environmental Duty of Care. Or you can always get 7 of 9 to assimilate!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2003 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I Agree on the most part but woudn't Dream of exposing 7 of 9 to such a risk. On a serious not steve has the right idea, Check ingrediants with eh40 etc get classifications correct (be wary of msds i worked in the buisness and 50% are generated by software and not always checked.)As steve pointed out review the lifecycle of product from conception to end product considering all who will come into contact with it.(including unplanned accidental releases) look at environmental regs. Seek advice of your dgsa etc. Consider monitoring sampling and health screening if relevent. Some would say try substitution, reduction, elimination segregation etc so by all means look at these possibilities. Wish i had a tri-corder or dr spock here LOL
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2003 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Let's try to cut this down to size (pun entirely intended). Don't be overawed by the name 'nano'. Nanoparticles are slightly bigger than single molecules/atoms. For example the diameter of an atom is of order one tenth of a nanometer. The particles you describe are right at the bottom of the range of normal atmospheric dusts. I guess you are working in clean rooms? Particles in this size range once launched into the air will remain airborne for extremely long periods, in a similar way to vapours. They will be inhaled right into the gas exchange region of the lungs, but also be exhaled - my guess is that they will present a hazard to health of similar magnitude to a vapour of the same chemical composition. Faced with this rather unknown hazard I would do as suggested above - look up the basic toxicity data of the constituents. Check whether the nanoparticles are airborne, or can be rendered airborne. If your people are wet processing, the nanoparticles will remain in the aqueous medium, where they won't be inhaled at all, and this will have a significant effect on the way in which you quantify the hazard. Do look at the process, and not just at the identity of the nanoparticle. Jane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2003 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Richard Jane sounds as though she knows what’s she’s talking about. Sounds a bit like ‘Rocket Science’ (only joking). Dav’s a bit stumped for once, what’s up mate! Tune into Sky TV’s Stargate you can pick up a few clues there, they know all about Nano this and Nano that, I was impressed! E’ isn’t science a wonnnnderful thing (sic) ‘Beam me up Scotty’