Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2003 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barrie Hutton Just started a new job in the health service. I now work with a fire safety adviser. An issue arose regarding office space/occupancy criteria. He insists upon using a standard of 7 square metres per person, as outlined in the publication 'a guide to the fire precautions act for offices, shop..ect. section 14.2'. He beleieves the 11 cubic metres(>3.7 square metres) we use, is too low. He also said that the latest version of the building regs says that offices should be designed with 6 square metres for each person. My view is that 11 cubic metres is the first threshold; you may need more space (possibly 7 square metres for each person) if the room is filled with lots of furniture or poorly designed. However, the ACOP doesn't give us much guidance on how much more space should be allocated in different circumstances Any views, guidance, corrections to my understanding greatfully received. P.S. It would also be good to hear from any other advisers working in the health service..morale support required!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Barrie, I think you've found your own solution! The 11 cubic metre reference is in the ACoP for the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs 1992 - although not the law itself, the ACoP is persuasive in any legal case and the defendant would have to demonstrate that their standards are similar or better than those quoted. So here is your minimum value. But it mentions this might need amended due to furniture or poor design and this is where you would incorporate your collegue's opinions - the 6m square rule. I wasn't familiar with the source of the guidance you quoted, but you mentioned it was a guide - and that is all it is! It's not law, but you can adopt it as your standard IF you deem it appropriate. As for building regs - these will only apply to new buildings and should only be applied to complete renovations or additions, so of limited use here. The point is, you have the right handle on it so far - establish what the legal minimum is and then set your own more stringent standards where appropriate (like in a compromise!). These in turn will help when conducting the Risk Assessments, but at least people will know what the absolute minimum they are entitled to. Hope that helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2003 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Barrie Think the subject is covered by guidance published by NHS Estates. + might be in "Safecode" developed at Strathclyde Uni for NHS. Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2003 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Barrie Volume can give some very quirky results. At the one extreme we have offices in an attic conversion - low ceiling with coombe ceiling on one side - but plenty of light and ventilation. Floor area 6m2 per person, but volume only 10m3 per person. Yet by arranging desks and filing cabinets under the sloping bit, the room feels very spacious and nobody can bang their head. At the other is a former toilet, which was being used as a single office. 3m long, 1.3 wide and old high ceiling so the calculation assumes 3m. Floorspace a measly 3.9m2,(and the .9 is lost to the sweep of the door opening) but a supposedly adequate volume of 11.7m3. So what I do is I assume a standard ceiling height of 2.4m. If the room has lower ceilings, I assess whether or not these will reduce the useable floor space (asuming a 5'10" occupant - me - and if necessary taking into account the height of taller intended users of the room) after considering optimum furniture arrangement. I assume each person to come with a "basic" set of office furniture comprising desk, chair and filing cabinet to fit in their space. I then add on the floor AREA needed for additional equipment and furniture (rather than the room volume) as in practice, most furniture and equipment "occupies" the space above it as well. Not strictly by the book, but the reality in many parts of the NHS is inadequate ofice space. If I was to become dogmatic about it, we would need to shut down - not, of course, an option. I need to take a balanced view, set against higher priority risks such as moving & handling. So we work towards optimising whatever office space we have, bringing pressure to bear on the worst cases, and ensuring that workstations are at least properly set up and used, even if the overall office space is below minimum. Good luck!