Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2003 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Lilley Can anyone enlighten me to the inspection/testing regime required (by law) for safety nets
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2003 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill Terry Although not strictly a 'good' answer to your query, I hope you will find the following useful. The HSE have produced a leaflet on 'webbing' style fall arrest devices which, although about individual fall arrest devices, may well cross-over to nets. It says that visual inspections should be done daily prior to use, with more detailed examinations being done (by a competent person - probably the manufacturer or their agent) six monthly. It does recommend that for harnesses/webbing straps that are used a lot, this should be reduced to a three monthly regime. Here's a link to the document. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg367.pdf Alternatively, just contact a manufacturer who will, I'm sure. give you some relevant information. Cheers Jerry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 July 2003 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Beveridge Hi Terry, The standard you need is BS EN 1263-1:2002 Safety Nets. Part 1: Safety requirements, test methods. (Part 2 is Safety requirements for positioning limits) There should be test cords on each net and all inspection and repair work should only be carried out by trained individuals. Test cords should be removed and sent for destructive testing on an annual basis. The national body is FACET. Hope this helps. If you need more, please feel free to contact me. Best regards Andy
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2003 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Terry There is guidance on this in one the appendices to HSE guidance book HSG33, Safety in Roofwork. Peter