Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2003 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Jenkins Dear All What safety requirements surround the use of Ramps for taking deliveries from ground level to a Goods-In area, approx 1metre high. The obvious thing that springs to mind is Manual handling and all aspects of 'LITE'. However are there any specific requirements as to the level of incline, or is it solely down to an assessment of the Manual Handling risks? Regards Brian.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2003 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Brian I assume that you are already transferring goods from the delivery vehicles direct to the Goods-In bay when ever possible? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2003 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Jenkins Paul You assume correct. The loading bay is a fixed height platform. We always request that 'significantly heavy loads' are delivered on Lorry with tail-lift capable of working to that height. However sometimes, and I know this will not be a surprise, but sometimes companies send lorries that have tail-lifts that do not reach this height - even though specifically requested. Rather than having the continuous argument with people, stating that the delivery will have to be turned away, because a. we don't have forklift & b. I am not permitting individuals from the company to lift heavy items they are not trained for. We were wondering whether a ramp could be used to wheel things from ground level back up to the goods-in area. I am wary that fitting such a ramp introduces another hazard and would therefore welcome some thoughts on the subject. Regards Brian.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2003 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Brian I don't know if there are specific guidelines for your situation but ramps for disabled access to buildings should be about 1 in 12. Something similar may suit your needs. Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2003 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey I don't know that there are any specific requirements but problems I have come up against include. 1. Edge protection (what happens when a trolley gets pushed over the edge) 2. Even more edge protection (have you ever known a trolley go straight?) 3. Construction material (a wooden ramp won't last 10 minutes unless substantial) 4. Still need a weight restriction and height restriction on loads. 5. When having a ramp, are you are introducing pedestrians into the delivery area, is this controlled. 6. The lip at the base will deteriorate unless metal and your trolley will catch Hope this helps, you could also consider a fixed lift, but then you will have to consider LOLER and ongoing costs.