Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes Hi, Working for Parks and Open Spaces in LA, we have recently had a lot of publicity about the above subject. We had an incident recently where a family got into difficulty in the river in one of our parks (thankfully no injuries were sustained). We have since conducted risk assessments and introduced signage, lifesaving aids etc to affected areas. I would be interested to conduct some sort of public awareness programme such as advertising, workshops etc......does anybody have any experience, good or bad, or any advice/info to give me. Any help would be really appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2003 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Walsh Emma North Lincolnshire Council have had a public awareness campaign called SPLASH (Seas,Pools,Lakes and water Safety at Home)running for some time, in a joint initiative with emergency services, local MP's, and local retail stores. If you contact their Environmental Health Section, I am sure they will be able to help you.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes Thanks Terry for the lead, I've just called John Rennison who deals with the initiative and he has been most helpful.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2003 23:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam Emma You could also contact the RLSS (Royal Life Saving Society)on Tel: 01789 773994 in Warwickshire, and RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)their section on Water Safety. Both organisations will be able to provide posters, other info re open water safety. Also, check out their Web sites. Miriam
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2003 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor RoSPA also publish 'Safety at Inland Water Sites: Operational Guidelines' which seems to be the current definitive guidance for risk assessment, control and management in those areas. They also have a consultancy service in that respect and hold regular water safety seminars, etc. In London the regional home safety council (affiliated to RoSPA's National Home and Leisure Safety Committee) also deals with water safety and is called the London Home and Water Safety Council (LHWSC)(Secretary: Gary Davies, Health and Safety Officer, Port of London Authority). They have also held water safety events. The Greater London Authority have also set up committees dealing with aspects of water safety and are represented on the LHWSC along with a number of organisations interested in water safety. I shall look forward to hearing of further activity from your part of the UK.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2003 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Try British Waterways. They have produced some excellent guidance and may be able to help. Sorry, I don't have a contact number for them to hand.