Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel " To lock a window, thus restricting escape in an emergency or not to lock a window allowing escape in an emergency but by unlocking a window you increase day to day risk re children falling out of the window" The situation relates to domestic premises that are council owned. No comments please re workplaces. Ta! What do others do?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2003 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Would have thought that if the 'window' has been designated as part of an escape route it should be able to be unlocked in the event of an emergency. If the risk is too great that persons could foreseably fall outand injure themselves then action must be taken to reduce this risk to a reasonable level.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2003 22:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Kirk I had the unfortunate experience of seeing a young child fall to his death from a third floor window which was on a staircase of a houseing block. As a result the local council had all windows screwed shut. This occured about ten years ago in Grimsby, it may be worth contacting Grimsby council for advice, My advice would be to secure all windows unless they are escape routes.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2003 08:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I am in favour of windows where they automatically lock but can be opened by depressing the button on the handle. This prevents very young children from opening them but allows access in the event of an emergency. Hilary