Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
Hi,

I've been asked by my employeer to put together and induction package for new starters (we have approx 100 temporary staff starting soon) and was looking for some guidance and/or examples of best practicea and what to include/exclude. This is the first time that I've had to do this and Im largely on my own due to our 'safety team' staff being either long term sick or on holiday, so the responsibility has been passe to me. Any help greatly appreciated. Oh, and I need to have it done by Friday (I only got told yesterday! Thus Im sure you understand my controlled panic)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2003 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
Jason, I've been trying to mail you a quiz we use but the system's playing up. Let me have your snail mail address and I'll put it in the post.

Cheers

Zoe
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Jason,
Theres an induction training handbook on the Downloads page of www.borders-safety.com in MS publisher format you can download and adapt. May not fit your needs but could give you some pointers.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2003 18:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Jason,

The best way to decide what to cover in induction training is to get your risk assessments together and do a pareto diagram. When you've identified the common threads then you can provide the training.

Some subjects need to be added, such as health and safety organisation and emergency procedures.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Jason
Even if all your HS staff were absent I would expect that your HS dept would already have had something in place.

Anyhow I will e-mail you an induction manual but you must tailor it to fit the H&S risks of your business, then knock up some overheads and do them in batches of 20.

Regards
Steve
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2003 07:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harwood
Jason,

I've mailed you directly with copies of our induction checklist and accompanying guidance notes. It normally takes me between 45 mins. and an hour to complete an HSE induction. If you have 100 new starts to do you'll probably want to split them into groups of no more than 4 or 5.

Good luck,
Alan
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Haroon Rasheed Tabani
Alan
Could you please send me those checklist and accompanied guidance as I am also improving my current vesion
Thanks
H. Tabani

E-mail: haroon.tabani@nphub.com