Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Hello all Does anyone have safe practices or procedures on the De-stuffing/unloading of stock from 20ft/40ft containers? Thanx all.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2003 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Richard I am posting this to bring the thread back to the fore, I am sure someone can help. This is an assessment I will be doing soon as we intend to do some container stuffing. If you do come across anything please mail it on. regards Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 02:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Richard: Have a look at the undernoted link: www.ukpandi.com/lp0010/Suppl.html#a All I did was enter a phrase related to Container handling and loading and stuffing in a search engine and hit enter and got the above. I unfortunately don't have the time to explore any more of the several hundred references that the search brought up but would suggest that you try a search yourself. Also look at the Shipping Industry and the Logistics and Transportation industries. I am sure that they have International Trade Bodies who deliberate on such issues and who have within there spheres of discussion, Health, Safety and Environmental topics. I seem to recall that they also produce/contribute to Guidance publications and Pracgtice standards. Try also British Standards, there must be some Standards relating to "Containers" although whether or not they deal in part or specifically with stuffing and de-stuffing I know not. With Containers remember also that those who pack/stuff them may have little understanding of some aspects of load/cargo safety/stability in the broadest sense. There may also be a total lack of understanding of Environmental and Chemical/product mix acceptable within a container. It depends where your Container and it's cargo originate and what controls/standards apply in that country/region/buisiness. Try contact also with the UK's prime ports for container handling amongst which are Felixstowe, Southampton, Liverpool, Hull,Grangemouth etc., There must also be colleague Professionals, members of IOSH who are employed in The Shipping, Ports and Freight forwrding/Logistics businesses who read these pages, a plea to them might help. Finally have you searched/approached the HSE and the Unions that particularly deal with Seafarers and Transport/Logistics industries/employment fields. The TUC website might be of help to you, some of the Trades Unions sites have excellent Links and cross references to great sources of information. Try: www.tuc.org.uk/ www.tgwu.org.uk/home.htm Hope that this is of help. Regards. ken Urquhart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Renny Thomson TechSP Hi Richard, my knowledge of this process was prior to my h&s involvement so could probably relate to bad practice rather than good. However, some key point to mconsider are; What it it that is in the containers, is it palletised, loose or bulk? Are the loads hazardous? Remember that for sea journeys, IMDG classification and transport requirements are stricter than ADR. Is the load independantly tied within the contaier, or secured with dunnage? Do you have suitable facilities to access inside the container with a flt, or will pallet trucks be used to move the load within the container? Have you considered the "confined space" aspects, particularly if you do not know the history of previous contents, or if FLTs are being used inside the container? Weight distribution should also be considered in relation to overloading of the carrying vehicle and avoiding axle weight problems. Hope this can be of some assistance if you cannot find some specific guidance.