Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton
Probably been asked before, but can I seek views on the following.
It is my contention that it is the workstation that is assessed. Thus an assessment will be valid for any number of people using the same workstation so long as they have suffient knowledge, training etc. to adjust the workstation/equipment to suit their individual requirements (different indivdual height), etc.

A colleague asserts that it is the workstation and the user that are assessed in tandem. Thus an assessment must be completed for every user, even though they use the same workstation. This seems a waste of resources to me as the same assessment will be visited time after time with the only real difference being the advice, guidance etc. given to users on adjusting the workstation to suit indiviual needs, height etc. I feel this can be done via training or instruction on the set up of the workstation and that the one assessment, so long as there is no significant change in the set up, is sufficient so long as it is backed up by proper staff training in the use, adjustment etc. of a workstation.

cheers
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2003 17:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
David

The regulations specify analysis of the workstations but the guidance (para 41) says that, for shared worstations, the risks should be assessed bearing in mind the range of size of those who may be using them.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2003 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Tonge
David,

The first part of any DSE assessment is the user questionnaire and self assessment. If this indicates further action or assessment is required then a workstation assessment should be carried out.

If this is done you will have a self assessment for each employee (from which training issues can be addressed) and a workstation assessment for each workstation. This would prevent the waste of resources caused by repeatedly assessing each workstation.

Hope this helps,

Neil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2003 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
David

I can give you an example of why it is important to assess the person.

I was involved in doing assessments for a new building. All the staff had been told that they couldn't take their old furniture inc chairs with them when the moved over. This upset some of the staff.

An individual complained bitterly that he had neck and shoulder problems as a result of the move, and we thought (very uncharitably) that it was because he wanted to keep his old chair. However on investigation we found that his arms were longer (nearly 2 inches) than average proportions for his height. Hence he had to hunch up his shoulders to use the keyboard. By chance his old chair did suit him correctly.

It does make for a lot of work, but can pay dividends for the staff. I have also come across people who find average chairs do not support them under the leg as they have very long legs and so need one with a longer seat pan. Being vertically challenged myself I find this type of chair causes me not to sit into the back of the chair and I get back problems. There are other examples, but these should suffice.

Hope this helps

Sarah
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2003 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Neil

Where have you got the self assessment idea from?

If you can convince me it meets both the spirit, the intention and the legal requirements of the regs I'll be well pleased.

Geoff

Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2003 20:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
David
I accept your view on this, and emphasise that the most important aspect of controlling DSE risks is providing information, instruction and training for the users so that people understand the risks and how to minimise them.

Once they have had this information then send them a self-assessment proforma, there are many in use and I feel sure that one of our colleagues will send you one.

Once you have studied all the self-assessments I am sure that you will find that there will be some people / workstations that require further detailed assessments by someone with more knowledge.

This method will ensure that the areas, or people with most of the problems will get most of valuable time and business resource.

Don’t forget that the DSE users managers need to provide the supervision to ensure that control measures specified in the assessments are followed.
Regards
Steve
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2003 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke
I was involved with the DSE assessments for a college with the Learn Direct Facility, whereby any member of the public could walk in have have access to the PC's. Remember safety is Reasonably Practicable! So I did individual assessments for the staff & their workstations, and then ensured there were theoretical assesssments undertaken for certain disabilities and provided the subsequent aids necessary. Ie lower desk for a wheelchair user, foot rests, different type of mice. As one of you mentioned the provision of info was the hard bit. How can you induct every person that walks in?? In the end I developed a mousemat with the DSE info on, and installed a program onto the PC that flashed a message up for the user to take a break from the screen every hour. I can help you out with this if you want to mail me direct.
Linda@healthandsafety.me.uk
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2003 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Ricketts
We use self assessment workstation/work area assessments for a number of our workers who work away from their main office ie in schools/community centres etc. This works very successfully and is used in conjuction with the reporting of any upper limb disorders which automatically trigger individual risk assessments. We have designed the forms so that a negative response means that the issue has to be followed up. We have just spent a full day redeisnging the forms to try an ensure correct interpretation by all users - some people have funny ideas as to whether or not blinds allow you to control natural lighting. All in house workstation assessments are done on a one to one basis using the same forms but the assessor sits with the individual
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2003 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Tonge
Geoff,

The user questionaire is the first step for us as it identifies whether the person is a user of DSE under the regs.

The self assessment then asks questions about how the person can alter and set up the workstation, the environment they work in, the training they have received, availabilty of free eye tests and so on. They are simple yes / no questions and any no's are followed up with a more detailed assessment and further training.

This works well particularly in hot desking situations, if the workstation is assessed as being fine and the individual is checking 'no' boxes you have a training problem.

Obviously there is no getting away from the initial assessment of the workstation, once that has been done and any problems identified and addressed, if ten people are going to be using that workstation during the week all we are concerned about is do they have the information, instruction and training to be able to adjust the workstation to their personal requirements. This can only be found out by asking them, so self assessment seems the way forward. David feel free to email me direct if you would like a copy of the self assessments and workstation assessments we use.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2003 13:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Self-assessment may be useful but it cannot remove the employer's duty to assess the DSE workstation (now irrespective of whether the staff using it are designated as 'users' under the DSE Regs). I find one-to-one DSE assessments very useful in general health and safety terms in addition to the strictly DSE application.