Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2003 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Winter
Hi all,

Wondering if there are any rubber experts out there. The Company i currently work for are considering fitting extraction equipment to the rubber moulding machines, when asked i cited what is in COSHH and EH 40 regarding the amount of rubber fume. At this point i was told that there are many different types of rubber and the MD wanted to know what it exactly is in the rubber that is classed as a carcinogen.
I thought it was just rubber fumes in general but if anyone can help with a more specific explanation i would greatly appreciate it.

Hopeing someone can help

James
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2003 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ROY DUDLEY
Hi James,
Health studies have shown increased risk of Cancer in workers exposed to rubber fume.
Supported by possible formation of nitrosamines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which may be present in certain extender oils.
Guidance is available in Rubber Industry Advisory committee (RUBIAC) publication "Dust and fume control in rubber mixing and milling"
ISBN 0717609928
Alternative support / guidance can be obtained from British Rubber Manufactures Association (BRMA).

Regards Roy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2003 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Roy
I would discuss this with the suppliers along with your in-house expert who is installing / designing this and obtain the Safety Data sheet for the products being used.
regards
Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david baird
James,
Used to work in rubber industry and had the exact same question asked by my then boss. (In a hope to evade the LEV being installed, more than anything else)
Does appear from the literature that the higher the oil content, and the greater the likely hood of nitrosamines being formed, then the greater the carcinogenic properties - apparently.
However, like many things regarding exposure to hazards, evidence was not totally conclusive so I backed off going into detail. Went for the de-fault position of rubber fumes in general are strongly suspected carcinogen.

Best of Luck
David
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2003 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear James
A summary of the research data is in the IARC Monograph

http://monographs.iarc.f...graphs/vol28/rubber.html

Jane