Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2003 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie I have just attended a course on Security Vulnerability Analysis and it proved to be a bit of an eye opener, even as a safety proffesional there are a number of significant concerns I had never even thought of. I was wondering what involvement others have had in carrying out security reviews in their industry/company. Do you even feel they are relevent, and I don't just mean in the wake of 9/11. Please ket me have your views on this, Andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2003 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Andy I have not been involved in the reviews as such, but there's the rub. As a result of a review several measures were put in place without regard to a risk assessment. I then came along and made them change some of it after the fact. eg We had a significant number of external gates closed off, and an automated entrance gate put in on a rear vehicle access. This made a lot of pedestrian employees enter via the vehicle access. After about £8k plus some new access software I am hoping that a new turnstile will be available soon for staff (its been over a year). Many managers forget that the H&S role can have big impacts on security and vice versa. The true role of a H&S professional should be looking at the whole "Loss Prevention" picture. Sarah
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Andy I work for an american company and have been involved in implementing security reviews. It's not as bad as it appears, some is just good practice - knowing who is on site, etc, some is very simple - car permist so you can identify non-company vehicles, and some is just common sense. Email me if you wish to talk, but you are right in that you can create problems whilst trying to resolve issues. But then this is the same for many risk assessments and control measures.