Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2003 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barrie Hutton The SRSC regs refers to the words independant investigations when it talks about inspections of workplaces. It doesn't mean that the union safety rep can carry out an inspection independantly of the employer because the regs allow for the employer to be present. I am unable to find an interpretation of what this means in this context; has anyone come across this before. I think it may relate to the union bringing in 'experts' to carry out analysis/testing etc. but not sure Any thoughts? Has anyone had a union rep qouting this right?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2003 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Barrie, The inspection by the Union Safety Representative is an independant inspection, albeit that the employer may be present. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jenny Hennin I assumed this meant "independant of manager"; in other words if safety reps wanted to interview members involved in or witness to an accident/incident, without manager presence Jenny Hennin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 17:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barrie Hutton Thanks for your responses, but not entirely sure it means independant of managers, as the law allows the managers to be present in the inspection.It talks of independant investigation and being able to talk to staff on their own. Its the first bit i'm not sure of Does anyone else have any views on this?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2003 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Barrie As I understand Reg 3 of the SR&SC Regs, it allows for an 'independant investigation' referring to the Safety Rep, in other words without the employer being actually present. Although the employer is entitled to be on site. The wording is ambiguous and I suggest that the regulation alludes to the fact that the Guidance Note (21) state: '..see advantages in formal inspections jointly carried out by the employer..' In common parlance you have the right to tell your employer to ... off! if you so choose. Hope this helps Ray