Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Is there a risk from oncogenic or other biologically active material in the plume from laser/diathermy surgery? If so, what can be done about it?

Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2003 19:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
Hi Paul

Not sure what risks you are referring to - however, a respondent on another thread gave us all info on a Webb site that had numerous photo's and other info on health and safety accidents and mishaps.

I visited the site (do not have details - on other hard drive) brilliant it was, even more so when I came across this true article from a chap in Denmark.

Whilst undergoing laser treatment for a mole on his rear end - the chap had a bout of flatulence whilst still under anesthetic – the laser gun set light to the surgical spirit which had been liberally applied to his nether region.

The outcome was a singing to his wedding tackle area – the guy is suing the hospital because he couldn’t perform his duties for a considerable time after the event and nearly lost his girlfriend (to a rival).

Was it foreseeable? and what new control measures could you put in place apart from the obvious (cork) for future operations of this type.

Paul I don’t think this will answer your query but it made me chuckle!

Regards

David B
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 08:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
What exactly were they singing to his 'wedding tackle' that had this effect? The collected works of Des O'connor?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2003 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando
The answer to your questions are yes, use extract systems - contact the supplier of your equipment for extract systems. There is information about laser plume and surgical smoke on the internet (type in laser plume) and in archive material from this forum.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2003 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Paul

In my e.mail I forgot to mention that another option that may be considered is the lease / purchase of one of them new fangled harmonic scalpel thingies. These don't create any plume and are even better for patient recuperation than lasers. In addition there are no heat sources or diathermy type issues.

We're about to purchase one for certain procedures. Worth a look.

Regards