Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2003 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Gilbert
I'd be interested to hear what testing other companies do to comply with the Legionella ACOP with regards to small volume (~10litre) calorifier units. The guidance seems to suggest monthly temperature testing but that does seem a little excessive for what must represent an extremely low risk.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2003 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Spiers
I agree with your view Nick but you are right regarding temp checks. Dead legs in the system are also regarded as a problem.
Cold water particularly from header tanks or if its pipework is long / exposed to heat can be above 20 C.creating a problem also.
Alan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Agree with your sentiments Nick, how much of a logistical nightmare and cost is involved if you work on a large site with say 200+ small santon 5l wall mounted hand washing heating units for some thing which is an extremely low risk?

What is the likelihood of this actually happening? probably nil.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Gilbert
Thanks for your comments. Our man from Betz reckons that one of his other clients is doing exactly as you suggest Dave and testing dozens of low volume wall mounted water heaters monthly. Whilst a contact I have at another facility similar to ours has suggested that the HSE would have little or no interest in the wall mounted units. I fear that monthly tests for something that is very low risk detracts people's attention from more significant hazards. I'm inclined to produce a risk assessment for each unit indicating volume, usage, turnover rates etc and include a less frequent temperature checking regime.

Best Regards.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2003 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Nick,

A lot of this comes from H&S / FM businesses doing a bit of scare mongering to get you to do something which really is not necessry, in my opinion. The old attck from them 'the law says and you have to abide by the ACoP scenario or you will be dragged through every court in the land', Really do not see the HSE coming round to see if you have done a test for legionella with your small wall heater. Its a bit of a debate between CIBSE and H&S people and in essence if it was me I would not do these or at the very least on an annual baisis, if that!

I have done hundreds of these tests and sampling at MOD bases and it is an absolute waste of time mate.

Never seen 50 people get in a sink under the spray from a 5l santon unit!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
The recent spate of checks for legionella in residential rented sector is due to the publication of HSE guidance, "Essential information for providers of residential accommodation - LEGIONNAIRES’ DISEASE"-IND(G)376

I guess as usual, someone uses them to get landlords signing to expensive checks & inspections.