Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee
I am looking for suggestions of what is considered reasonably practicable when attempting to deny children access to scaffolding erected around occupied residential terraces and semis. I have looked at HSG 151: Protecting the public - your next move.

The job involves short duration roofwork (approx 5 days of work incl erection/dismantling scaffolding) - stripping off some of the tiles firestopping the party wall in the roof void and making good the roof + also cleaning the gutters out.

There is potential for access via opening windows but the opening should be fairly easy to restrict from the outside.

The difficulty arises from ground level. Boarding out the base of the scaffolding appears to be difficult due to obstructions in the back yards (sheds, fences etc.) and the need to allow access to the properties. Have alternatives to ply boarding been found to work?

Does anyone have experience of using anti-climb paint?

There is also the potential for complaints by tenants due to loss of light or clothing contaminated with anticlimb paint - but this would be minor compared to a child falling to his/her death. The tenants have been informed/consulted about the works.

Simon Ayee

Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2003 19:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke
How about, giving a talk at the local school/youth club about the dangers, and post a security guard. use all the usual signage?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman
Simon,

Linda's idea of a security guard is probably the best, but I would suggest that you will have considerable difficulty getting someone to fund it.

In my time with an LA, children (including big ones)were a major nightmare with scaffolding. The problem was compounded by parents getting very aggressive about their children not being allowed to play on the scaffold!

This is an area where a comprehensive exercise in risk assessment/planning is essential. You'll need to consider the entire perimeter scaffold and look for ways of blocking or restricting access in each area. You mention securing access from the building, a good idea, but you will face resistance from persons (not just residents) claiming that you are blocking off fire emergency escapes. Check that such access existed in the first place.

Anti-climb paint etc will invariably result in claims, as everyone will have brushed by the painted area and ruined their best clothes. If you use mesh, make sure you take into account the potential ease at which it can be climbed.

Good control of ladder access is essential. Use an area that can be properly secured such as the gable end. From what you say, it is feasible that the approach would be to to use a single pole ladder from ground to scaffold lift. It is unlikely that this will be removed at the end of the working day and securing boards across the lower rungs will do little to deter a determined climber. If you put an intermediate platform on the scaffold, your contractors will be more inclined to move a shorter ladder (approx 3m, for instance).

Use of signage will always help, but don't do what I caught one contractor doing - he put up 'scaffold incomplete' signs to deter intruders. These signs did not come down in the day when the labour turned up to work on the 'incomplete' scaffold.

Good luck.

Jim
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2003 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New
You may be intrested in the HSE prosecutions website. A housing company working on the Kingsmead Estate in Hackney was prosecuted under section 3 of HASWA after a boy died from a fall whilst climbing on a scaffold. The HSE said that the Principal Contractor failed to identify and fence a foreseeable access route on to the scaffold from a public walkway/balcony. I believe that chicken wire had been put up, but this was not deemed adequate and the company should have used a more substantial/robust wire mesh fence to prevent access. If you can look at a back issue of SHP December 2002 page 10.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2003 18:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
Simon,

If you email me directly at peter.harvey@cambridge.gov.uk I can let you know what we are "trying" to do, send you some photographs and details of a "safe site" project we have underway.

Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2003 08:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Anti climb paint should only be used on standards more than 2.5m above ground level or any floor or landing on which the scaffold is based and to which the public have access. Anti climb barriers can also be fitted but again these should be well out of normal reach.

I would suggest the following: -

Remove all ladders when the site is unattended.

Block off all access from landings etc by heavy duty fencing

Box in the base of all scaffolds so as to provide a smooth unclimbable surface.

Box in any individual scaffold standards if scaffold made up from modular members with protruding lugs.

Place warning signs on all scaffolds.

leaflet all houses in the area, include a 24 hour contact number for reporting tresspass. Repeat this exercise at regular intervals. Get the parents on your side by pointing out that preventing access to the scaffold by kids also prevents access by burglars and vandals.

If a permanent security guard is impossible to provide then a patrol arriving at irregular intervals should be provided.

Consider CCTV coverage.

It is a matter of taking all reasonably practicable precautions. We all know that kids are going to want to climb on scaffolds. It is a very foreseeable event.