Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2003 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart B Marshall
I have been quoted that "washing in rivers/streams" as part of a youth camp is "illegal". I cannot recall this from my knowledge base and wonder if the larger collective brain can help. It may be more and Env topic but even so I can only think of the major NRA catchments as being covered by legislation. Anybody got any advice; is this true or false?
Cheers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2003 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
I wonder whether the youth camp would require a licence to discharge into controlled waters if this were so?

You could try the Environment Agency website on: www.environment-agency.gov.uk. If you do a search of the site you will find a section on regulations.

Is it hygiene issue or a pollution issue you're worried about?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2003 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
If you go to the above web-site & use the search facility to type in the word NetRegs, you will find all sorts of goodies, some of them may even be useful.

From a hygiene & safety perspective, if you are acting in loco parentis for these kids, then you should not be advocating this sort of thing anyway.

If sombody becomes ill, or slips & falls in, the buck is going to stop with your organisation.

Perhaps that was what was meant?