Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2003 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By malcolm
I have been asked a question that I hope other members will be able to help me with.

An old lady 80+ was travelling on a public bus. The seats were all taken up including those allocated to elderly. The conductor allowed her to travel standing in the aisle. The bus stopped sharply, the old lady fell and broke her shoulder.

How does she stand with claiming compensation?
Does the Bus Company owe a duty of care?
Was the Bus Company negligent in allowing an obviously frail lady to travel standing up?
As they had seats allocated to elderly persons did they already accept that it could be hazardous for elderly people to travel standing up.

Am I looking at Tort of negligence? Duty owed, Duty breached, Loss incurred.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
They definately would owe a duty of care. Due to the lady receiving an injury this duty has been breached and gut feel would be that she has a pretty good case.

The bus driver is responsibile for the safety of passengers on the bus and this will include assessing if it is safe for a member of the public to stand up whilst the vehicle is moving. The problem comes when all seats on the bus are taken. Does the driver refuse the old lady entrance onto the bus on the grounds of it being unsafe for her stand? Can he ask a more more able bodied passenger to give up their seat? What happened to people offering their bus seats to old dears? I am sure they were not all old and frail passengers.

I am sure there will be some more detailed resonses but hope this helps.

Greg
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains
The company operating the bus have the responsibility and the driver is their employee. Any case would have to be made against the company.
Aren't buses designed for both seating and standing?
Are the seats that are reserved for elderly/frail passengers not a courtesy as oppossed to any kind of legislation. Much the same as the spaces reserved for those with prams/buggies?

Sounds like there is still a case though - expect another 50 claims from others claiming to have been on the same journey.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2003 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
That is correct it is not legislation to reserve seating for frail/elderly passengers, but it is to carryout a risk assessment and I would think that any suitable assessment would come to the conclusion that standing on a bus and frail/elderly passengers are not a good combination.

Greg
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner
I agree with all comments so far, however you need to consider, if in fact she was offered a seat, but declined (unlikely I know....but!). What I am getting at consideration must be given to the fact that did the bus company apply ALARP?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
I sympathise with the old lady, and the bus driver. And agree with other replies on responsibilty of the bus company. I dare say they will now implement a strict "no-standing" rule, which will be safer, but tough on the last person in the queue.

Actually I am only posting this because one reply reminded me of a story (unconfirmed)from USA :

A city bus had broken down and the passengers shifted to another bus. An hour or so later the mechanic arrived, got the bus started and drove off to the garage.

On the way there was a minor collision with another vehicule. Within a week the company had received injury claims from each of the 350 passengers.

Merv Newman

Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 August 2003 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
I have every sympathy for the lady in question and she may have a strong claim against the company concerned. I also have sympathy for the bus company. The conductor (or was it the driver, very few have both) might have allowed her to travel standing, but did not force her to, or make standing a specific condition of her travelling. As Gregg says, does the driver refuse to take her as a passenger and have the company face the public outcry (the press love stories like this). It seems that in this compensation culture everyone forgets that they also have some responsibility for their own safety. Did the other passengers on the bus who refused to give her a seat also fail to excercise duty of care? Morally, at least, I would consider that they did. The problem when dealing with public transport is that you can provide everything for safety that is reasonably practicable and in most cases better than that, but can't enforce its proper use by memebrs of the public. If you don't believe this come and spend a day with me on site visits!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Merv,

The version of that story I heard was set in Liverpool.
Another urban myth?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman
I do remember seeing a legal case similar to this (although cannot lay my hands on it at the moment).

An elderly person had got on a bus, and the driver moved off before they could sit down. The person fell and suffered an injury as a result.

The court found that it was not reasonable for the driver to wait for everyone to be seated before driving off and the action failed.

I would feel that in this case a similar line may apply, in that it is not reasonable for a public transport driver to ensure that every elderly person has a seat. Think how difficult things may become if you add to the equation all the other people who could be considered at a higher risk of falling - the disabled, the young, even people who have had a drink or two! All of us have the potential to loose our balance if standing on a bus that brakes sharply.

One must also consider that no matter how careful a driver is on the road, the action of others may cause harsh braking and that passengers on a bus should expect that this may happen.