Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2003 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
Does anyone know of any regulations, guidance or best practise on the frequency of emptying sanitary towel disposal bins?

A safety rep has contacted me because the bins in her workplace are only emptied every four weeks. I’m sure I don’t need to elaborate on the problems that arise.

Any help would be welcome.

Bob Woods
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains
Robert,
I had a similar situation in previous employment. Without meaning to sound sexist - I managed to pass the buck to a female collegue - on the grounds of not wishing to hang around ladies loos!

A lot of it comes down to the contract that has been agreed with the bin provider. They obviously want to charge more if the bin is to be emptied more regularly.
It really is dependant on the area that the bin is in - busier areas will obviously have to be emptied more than every 4 weeks.

However in our case once we investigated it was found that in many cases the bins weren't actually full. They were overflowing because the refuse was sticking at the top of the bin, causing a blockage and the rest of it was actually empty.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2003 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barrie Hutton
Don't think there are any! I was recently asked a question relating to this matter - "Is there a particular standard of bins for the disposal of sanitary ware?". From what I could identify there are a number of options: macerator plumbed into drains; heat sealed unit for bagging prior to disposal and sanitary bins like that provided by Canon Hygiene and PHS.

I think the answers are based on common sense and reasonableness and H+S issues are privacy, common decency and infection control

Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2003 08:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury
Robert

We get ours exchanged on a monthly basis by a well-known contractor. This does not cause any problems that I'm aware of.

Tony
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2003 07:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington
Robert there are no Regs on this matter and none are needed. On a practicable level one would wish to provide these bins to prevent these sanitary towels blocking up the sewage system.

With regards to collection it needs to be as frequant as is needed. So as to avoid the need for lady's to flush these towls.

Hope this helps

David.