Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2003 23:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Can someone with an intimate knowledge of Fire Precautions Act advise on the problem of fire exits being used for purposes other than MOE. For example, is it in order for management to allow staff teaching on poolside to open the fire exit to let fresh/cooler air into a small and very humid swimming pool environment? I would say no because it encourages others to misuse fire exits; and the fact that it is better to sort out the air conditioning. Your views would be welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Miriam I Not 100% possitive but if it is a final exit door then companies can have them either open or closed as they are not really supposed to stop the spread of fire where as internal fire doors do.

Some one will explain this in more detail and with more knowledge so hang in there.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2003 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Cook
Yep, I agree with jason, as long as the door is not providing fire seperation between building compartments, i cannot see it being an issue.

However, having a final exit adjacent to a poolside left open open may create new hazards, will children / toddlers be able to wander in from the outside, will members of the public have easier access to the pool or maybe to its more vulnerable customers ?

Its all gonna be in ya risk assessment :-)

Paul.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2003 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Miriam
You are not in breach of any legislation, the only issue is one of security.

The main danger or problems with Fire Exits is that they may not open when needed in an emergency.

As you are constantly usining this for other purposes then you can be reasonably confident that it will open if it is ever needed in the event of an emergency.

You are not in breach of any legislation, the only issue is one of security.
regards

Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2003 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Thank you all for clarifying this issue.
You are right about security being a risk.
It is a final exit door that leads to an outdoor passageway where the public could climb over the high fence and gain unauthorised access to the pool; vandalise it; attack people using the facility; plus the risk of debris/dirt from the passage being blown onto poolside and into the water on windy days. Very many thanks for your comments.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I would advise against it too. If the pool is very humid, it has either been inadequately designed, requires repair/maintenance or is not being operated correctly. There needs to be a close relationship between air and pool water temperature - which is probably not being maintained. On the wider issue of final exit doors, in addition to security, one needs to consider any potential fire risk to the building from an external source. I am aware of ignited combustible materials adjacent to an open final exit door leading to major loss and fatality in a residential block.