Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2003 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May Has anyone introduced a total ban on the use of mobile phones including hands free kits while the driver is in control of a motor vehicle? With regard to the new legislation due in December.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2003 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Yes - new policy is in the process of consultation but the emphasis is on "ban". Have also included a reference that indicates where a road traffic accident has occured - mobile phone records will be checked.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I hear Vodaphone and ROSPA have a complete ban for their staff. I think that says a lot. I am taking it to our directors as a proposal. They won't like it because they are the ones that rabbit on the hands-free phone the most while driving! Have a look at this interesting site: http://www.safteng.net/S...%20Banner%20March%20.pps
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2003 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb This is something that our company is currently looking at. The issue of 'hands-free' would appear confusing. As i understand it, for a device to be hands free, it has to be able to be activated without the driver significantly altering the position of their hands on the wheel, therefore the 'normal' earpiece, whereby you have to physically activate the phone, would appear to be illegal?? Thoughts anyone?? Given the anticipated costs of providing 'legal' devices, we may be forced down a total ban route!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2003 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House The way that I interpret the proposed legislation is that drivers will not be able to use communications equipment whilst on the move if it is 'Hand Held'. This is qualified by further stating that this means that the handset needs to be held in the hand for at least part of its operation. 'Hands Free' kits will be allowed under the new legislation, as it would be impossible to enforce a ban on their use (how can you spot a motorist wearing a Bluetooth headset? That said, I, too am looking to impose a total ban on the use of mobile phones whilst driving (our policy already states that they should not be used, even with hands free kits, but there is, as yet, no monitoring or policing of this, and no disciplinary measures in place should this occur. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Newman Yes, we are a large public services organisation our Policy introduced in 2000 states 'staff must not use their mobile phone to make or receive calls whilst driving'
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2003 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Ashton Yes - about five years ago, I became aware of two mobile phone calls and one radio message between mobile workers and their office bases within our organisation that terminated with the immortal "Ahhhhhh shi#####...." At about that time, we also received several (more than four) complaints of poor driving amongst our fleet vehicles from members of the public - traced in each case to use of mobile phone or radio. The radios were installed, hands-free, but the impact on driving was clear. Ban it, and, if you can, enforce the ban proactively..... Checking mobile 'phone records AFTER the accident has occurred strikes me as an excellent way to re-introduce the blame culture that we've been trying to eradicate for years... Provide your telephonists / control staff / sales managers with report cards, so if they suspect a call has been made from a moving vehicle, it can be investigated.... Good Luck, Steve
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Let us take a step back here. I have heard a lot of opinion about the effect on safety promoted usually from H&S stakeholders but have seen no objective evidence that this is any more dangeous than other activities such as listening to the radio, smoking , changing a cd/tape, eating or drinking the results of which are, therefore, not having both hands on the wheel and not being in "full control of your vehicle". It is pointless having a policy unless it can be policed and can acted upon and presumably this will be another safety measure that will have very little effect and a cost implication.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2003 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May Just to put this issue into perspective - while driving a vehicle at 70mph research has shown that breaking distances traveled is greater when using a mobile phone. normal reaction 102ft (31 mtrs) alcohol affected 115ft (35 mtrs) using hands free 128ft (39 mtrs) mobile phone 148ft (45 mtrs) Drivers are less able to maintain a constant speed. Drivers find it difficult to keep a safe distance from the car in front. So i would like to see the argument to support the use of ANY mobile communication device while being in control of a vehicle.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2003 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond John My daughter was born two months prematurely thanks to a driver who was lighting-up a cigarette who crashed into the side of my then-pregant wife's car. Fortunately my wife, son and daughter survived the crash - although not without long-term health problems. I'm sure you have heard the statistics - 10 people are killed on the road a day. In my view anything that helps cut the death toll is a good thing. Most of the examples of other distractions you gave are examples of driving without due care and attention. Any decent driving policy should require its staff to drive with due care and attention. Enforcement of mobile phone ban would be difficult - but not impossible - the employer usually pays for the hands free kit which instantly means they are endorsing the use of hands free. They also tend to pay for the phone and phone bills.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 August 2003 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb Just to go back to what John Ridley posted - he may well have a point. However, it would appear that the law 'may' judge differently if a driver crashes whilst using a mobile phone as opposed to lighting a cigarette! If we dont have a policy statement in place managing the mobile phone situation, companies could find themselves in trouble if that happened to be the case! I find it strange that companies have a policy in place that would, for example, prevent a person from working on a roof without the correct control measures being inplace, because there is a risk they may kill or seriously injure themselves. However, some seem reluctant to have a policy regarding mobile phones (and road safety generally) where there is the potential to kill/seriously injure several persons in one go!! Where is the risk assessment in that??
Admin  
#12 Posted : 07 August 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker A while ago I saw some "research" that suggested that mobiles (hands free or not) was actually worse than being over the limit. Can anyone remind me of the web site? I need the info to justify a ban I want implimenting. If my memory serves me correctly didn't "they" lay down guidlines that means in the event of a fatal accident, if you were using the phone (easily provable) than it will mean at least ten years in jail?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 07 August 2003 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Jim Look at my first response above - it gives you the web site! Regards Nigel
Admin  
#14 Posted : 07 August 2003 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday With reference to John Ridleys posting, I had a conversation recently with a friend whose company was bringing in a total ban. He (and I) accepted that you were likely to be distracted when talking hands free, but was this any less distracting than talking to a passenger. This would be particularly so if talking to a passenger in the rear seats where the voice would be as disassociated with a person as talking on hands free. The question then raised would naturally be, do you ban passengers from cars? How then would this affect the push towards car sharing and the valid environmental benefits this creates? Also to be taken into account is the fact that mobile phones are now a way of life and some industries, such as logistics, would now find it difficult to operate without them. A total ban would force people to stop to use their phones and I am sure we have all seen people stopped on hard shoulders and swerving across traffic to stop to answer phones. Only yesterday returning to work from an IOSH branch meeting the car two in front of mine slowed suddenly on a downramp to a motorway, stopped on the side of the road just before entering the motorway and I clearly saw the driver pick up his phone turn his hazards on and was talking as I went past. Is the use of correctly installed hands free units more of a risk than this? Please do not take the contents of this posting the wrong way. There is no question that the use of hand held mobiles should be banned. I am all in favour of any risk reducing measures, if I wasn’t I would be in the wrong job, but a little perspective is required before jumping in with both feet. A previous thread discusses public perception of H&S and when well intentioned new initiatives such as this are placed before the public and are so easily put into question, as shown in the narrative above, are we in the safety profession really helping ourselves? For all the talk of risk assessment, has one been done here that takes into account all the possible outcomes and ramifications? Your comments would truly be appreciated.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 07 August 2003 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway My organisation introduced a total ban - one of the arguements used was based on reseach sponsored by Direct Line Insurance and conducted by the Transport Reseach Laboratory. The document can be found here http://info.directline.c...tegory=Motor%2BInsurance It document explains the difference between speaking to a passenger and having a conversation on the phone. Below is an extract from our driving on business policy Hand-held and hands-free mobile phones must not be used for making or receiving calls or text messages whilst driving. Mobile phones must be switched-off before driving. Hand-held and hands-free mobile phones must only be used when the vehicle is safely parked. If you need to be readily contactable plan regular breaks from your journey to check for left messages. Managers will not require staff to be available on mobile phones when driving. Mobile phone car kits must not be fitted to fleet cars. Steve
Admin  
#16 Posted : 07 August 2003 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby Gary Some years ago when mobiles were not that common the company I worked for had hands free fitted to all company cars as it was thought that this was relatively safe e.g. same as talking to a passenger. This meant that you were available to talk at anytime. This seemed to work well until the day I got into a long technical discussion with my boss and suddenly noticed that my speed had dropped to 40mph and I was in the third lane of a four lane motorway. From then onwards the rule was you could answer a call to say yes or no to a single question. If a discussion was needed you left the motorway and rang the caller back having found a safe place to stop. If not on a motorway then you pulled over into a safe place. This required discipline on the part of the driver and also on the part of the caller.As everyone 'signed' up to this it worked well. Nowadays with emergence of voicemail as standard there is no need to answer the call immediately. In the event of you being wanted in an emergency then the call could be made several times to your voicemail which rings on the handset first - thus giving you a warning that it was urgent. But if people are likely to be regularly called in an emergency whats wrong with a bleep that has tones only. On receipt of bleep you could then go to a safe place and make a call. John C