Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2003 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sophia masuko Has anyone out there got any guidance on homeworking that I can look at. My Borough is looking more into homeworking and I am in the process of updating the existing guidance note. Thank You Sophia
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2003 18:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley It's a nightmare! You don't say what the job tasks are Sophie but if it is DSE work whether rightly or wrongly the way my organisation sees this is that if the workstation is a temporary workstation and not a permanent one e.g. they work at home for no more than two days a working week, then it is not subject to DSE requirements. If it is a permanent arrangement then it becomes a workplace and subject to all the requirements of H&S regulations including Workplace and DSE regulations. This will all involve issues such as cleaning, space dimensions, lighting, temp, furniture, environmental conditions, conditions of floors etc. etc. they all come into the equation. The homeworkers could be trained to conduct their own risk assessments but on completion any recommendations made, if accepted, will have to be implemented. Please be aware that any non-employee at home who is subjected to an accident in any way related to a work activity, then it becomes a workplace accident and subjected to all the legal effects and insurance requirements. Obviously your insurers should be made aware of your "homeworking" policy. I would definately advise public liability insurance for third party cover if you haven't already got it. Personally I think that homeworking, whilst on the face of it sounding attractive, is usually badly thought through and, as a result, a legal compliance nightmare. However, other might disagree? Good luck John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2003 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards John has hit the nail on the head in his posting. I doubt any of the H&S issues were envisaged when the Employment LAw Act 2002 was built! I have a pdf file on this subject, please email me at info@limeone.com for me to forward it to you. The DSE regs interpretation is open to challenge but the underlying duties in the HSWA 1974 cause more problems as do DPA 1998 and a multitude of other issues of home working.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2003 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Very interesting. I have recently been trying to find out about any legal/tax status homeworking may have. I have been asked to reference my address as "Regional Office" on things like fax sheet headings etc. Anyone know anything about this? Benedict
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2003 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Check out the technical datasheets on this site for information on homeworking. It may be of some use. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2003 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sophia masuko Thanks for all the contributions all the information is proving to be really helpful.I have enough to get on with now. Thanks Sophia