Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2003 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Westrupp
I have just been informed of an accident to a foster carer caused by a badly fitted stair gate in their home. We purchase and supply these items but allow the foster carers to fit them as it is in their own home. I think we have liability and should be fitting anything we supply. Does anyone have a policy or procedure in place for this issue?
Linda
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2003 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley
Hi Linda
I hope you get a few more replies but here's my lowly contribution.

I will start by giving the usual risk assessment and method statement requirement and from this it will inevitably highlight the need that the person fitting the gate should be "competent" to do so. Who this is is immaterial as long as they have received an adequate level of instruction, information and training. I am not sure whether this is a practical suggestion or not but to get on the list of foster carers maybe they could initially demonstrate that they could fit the gates properly? How you deliver this is up to you, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to prove any level of negligence or breach of stautory duty if the manufacturers fitting instructions were adequate and had been followed appropriately.

Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Back in my local government days, we also would supply home safety items or sell them at low cost. If you install them you may also have a liability if things go wrong. Why not have a word with Carol Ainge of Kidrapt (http://www.childsafety.co.uk/) who supply a number of home safety items to local authorities, etc or to RoSPA (http://www.rospa.org.uk) to get current thinking on this issue?