Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Does anyone have any actual, or anecdotal, evidence of what constitutes a trip hazard on pavements? At what height does a paving slab, or a cemented area have to protrude to become unreasonable. I have heard someone mention a civil case that stated 1cm was pushing things too far. Cheers all ps thanks for all the enquiries but No! I'm not in Oz just yet. Buyer pulled out day before exchange so will haunt you a little while longer!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2003 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson The old rule of thumb which I worked to was 1 inch but with metrication that somehow came down to 20 mm. There was an anecdotal tale that Liverpool, who suffered lots of trip claims, set that as the point above which they would pay out and became the accepted norm. I am sure someone will correct me. Seriously it all comes down to risk assessment. There are some areas where a 20 mm step would be acceptable but others where it would not.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks John that also ties in with another source. Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Bryn We have pavement inspectors working for various eg local authorities. Different highways authorities have varied standards as to what constitutes a defect requiring action. Some of them have put pressure on us not to report defects which are less than their threshold trip level (something we have refused to do!!) Some helpful commentary at http://www.guildhallcham...rts/PI_JH_15_NOV_01.html Clearly one of the factors you need to consider is the population at risk, ie is there a high proportion of particularly susceptible users, eg frail, partially sighted, wheel chair bound etc. The then Secretary of State for Scotland was ordered to pay £0.5m compensation to someone who fell at Rosyth, despite contrib negligence being decided in respect of the victim's 4 pints before falling. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2003 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I've heard that a number of 'accident claims companies' take the 1" (25mm) height in determining whether claims are worth pursuing. I think i's largely a matter of expectation when it comes to considering what is an unreasonable trip height. The surface upon which we expect to be walking (and so adjust our walking behaviour accordingly if within our ability) up a mountain track, on a country lane or private access way is likely to be rather different from that of a busy footway in a modern town - and you can't walk around with your 'eyes on the pavement' all the time (unless you consider tripping to be a greater risk than impact with street furniture and the like). I wonder to what extent footwear may be a determing factor in these incidents?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2003 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson When I worked for a LA it was a 2p piece.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I tend to work on 15mm on our premises as the point to take action. This is on the basis that it will probably deteriorate further, so we can catch it before one of the professional trippers does. Dave's bit about the 2p piece would tie in with the 1" theory (close enough anyway). Ian