Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2003 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Relating to Zoe's thread on public perception of HS. I agree with many of the contributions offered by colleagues. I feel however that the problem can be directly related to our Countries so called leadership. One of our founding principles is that for health and safety to work there needs to be a clear and demonstrable commitment from the top! Sometime ago I commented in this forum about the watering down of the supposedly forthcoming 'Corporate killing'legislation. Now I read that the two other pieces of legislation; Health & Safety (Offences) regulations and the HS (Responsibilities of Directors) Regs have both "run out of parlimentry time" for this session, despite both getting to their 2nd reading and the House of Lords. Although it is, apparently, hoped that someone will take up the sword in the next session of Parliment there is no guarantee that this will happen. If our Government cannot,by their example, demonstrate their committment to occupational health and safety, is it any wonder that the media and the public appear not to view it particularly seriously either, unless they become the victim of an accident or poor safety practice of course. My personal feeling is that unless all interested parties,HSE, IOSH, BSC & ROSPA and individuals, make there dissappointment and frustrations known, we will continue as we are, a couple of hundred fatalities,many thousands of occupational injuries, more work related absences at greater cost each year, with little being done to address the issue. We seem to be really good at talking the talk, but we certainly do not appear to have mastered walking the walk yet do we!! Ed
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2003 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Well put Ed Just wondering what the score was in Europe as far as corprate killing etc. Are we behind or pushing too far in front. Is there something for this in america also? Is it just a going of the motions that will just keep getting bought up and then knocked back down. Saved for the day when there is another national disaster. One Director stated this legislation will never be allowed. Lets face it what company has stood up and stated this is a good idea. I personnally think a new revised Act is the best way forward. Increased penalties and increased assistance for companies that show a commitment. Bla Bla Bla Maybe even cheaper insurance premiums as incentives. Maybe Education I dont know Im new to safety and think there is a long way to go and no quick answer.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner I think this issue is also recognised in the way that little respect or continuity has been shown in the role of ministerial responsibility for health and safety. Not a "hot" seat in the cabinet, it was also recently without a departmental home. It is ok for the HSC/HSE to kep banging the drum, but it needs a bigger drum and a bigger drum stick. The government attitude to H & S is apathetic at best.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2003 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Ed et al, I agree with you, suffice to say I am disappointed with this so-called 'social' government. I suspected at the time and still believe, the the Revitalising Safety intiative launched a few years ago was a PR exercise with some good rhetoric. Targets have not been met and are unlikely to either. I think the problem that has been illustrated is a little deeper. There is a lot of prescriptive h&s law, guidelines etc but many organisations do not comply with even the most basic duties. Why introduce more legislation? Also, many organisations are 'compliance driven' and therefore do not look at wider issues of best practice. There is a danger that h&s will become nothing more than a 'paper safety' exercise. The Government and regulators need to ensure that 'virtual safety' as I call it, does not dominate, wittingly or unwittingly. The HSE could be more proactive by prosecuting offenders before there is an accident or fatality, not just after the event. Very often the level of sanctions imposed by the HSE and the Courts is determined upon the outcome of an adverse event - rather than the potential consequences. Regards Ray