Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2003 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess This is probably a daft question!! Are mobile phone chargers classed as portable appliances and thus need testing? Thanks in advance for assisting with my mental block.......it must be the sun.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Ive been told by our electricians that they dont contain an earth pin so cant be tested (?) they still inspect the lead and signs of damage, just dont plug it into the tester Hope this helps Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2003 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Butler I used to conduct tests based around the phone chargers being a double insulated item and therfore subject to that testing regime, so a visual examination would be followed by at the least a fuse test but no load test,seawards, I believe, have a web site which may be of more use to you. regards, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2003 17:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Not sure if there is any specific requirement regarding mobile phones but they would certainly fall under the general category of portable electrical appliance e.g plug & socket arrangement. When conducting PAT, we used to work to the earth return circuit not being tested because there is no earth pin or conductive chassis to connect to. The insulation resistance check of a minimum value of 1M Ohm also cannot be done if there is no chassis to connect to. The only checks that can be conducted is an integrity test of the internal connections inside the plug, correct fuse value as well as a visual check of the cable and the physical state of the transformer unit although this would not appear to be practicable in the case of a mobilephone charger.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2003 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Not a daft question at all! Mobile phone chargers are electrical appliances (and protable) and should be maintained so as to be safe! The HSE provide a good leaflet about electrical safety in the office environment (can be downloaded from their website) and I think that you will find that the recommendation is that inspection/testing is on the basis of risk assessment. My view is that the chargers should be given a visual inspection regularly (each time they are plugged in) and replaced if there are cracks in the casing or defects in the wiring. It is possible to perform electrical insulation tests on them but I suspect that the phones will be out of date and replaced before the test interval has been reached. Hope this helps. Tony Overbury
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Turner They can be tested, they are a Class 2, appliance as they are probably double insulated and therefore they can be tested for insulation resistance. Whether you go this far is up to you. I would guess that a visual by a competent person would be good enough.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2003 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess When I first got asked the question I thought that it must be a straight forward answer hence the 'daft question' but like most things they are never as simple as you first think. After reading the responses I think I will be recommending that they receive a regular visual inspection but no more. Thanks to everyone who responded, it's been a great help. Greg