Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2003 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I've recently been involved in an accident investigation and thought this might be of interest. Without going into detail, a heavy sheet of material fell and just clipped an operative.The sheet (end on) glanced off this man's helment peak. Most of those in the investigation team feel the peak saved this chap. Had he been wearing one of those peakless jobs, he would have had his face sliced off, instead of the just the bruise on his nose. My message is think very carefuly before you allow peakless helmets on building sites.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2003 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I know a few 'peakless helmets' on building sites! Thanks Jim didn't think they were allowed or he could have been wearing it back to front scenario. Just saying this as I am living on a building site at the moment and seen a few things outside my front door. witnessd a 'MANITOU' go forward onto its arm as the boom was extended too far with a pallet of roofing slates and the 'agency' worker didn't put out the spreader legs and bent the scaffold it came to rest on! had to tell the roofer to get off the scaffold while they tried to get it back on all 4 wheels!! The response " hang on mate just got to finish this off" should have taken a photo.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Cassidy I too have heard of scenarios where sheet metal has sliced off a nose. The prosthetic ones don't look too good either!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2003 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I don't like the peakless helmets either. and I cant see their point (advantage) while I'm here, a couple of true stories - I recently found a brickie wearing a world war two german helmet (inherited from his father). I am fairly sure that it would have passed all the relevant tests (except for conductivity) but it didn't have the CE mark. This one goes back a couple of years but it is quite relevant to today's temperatures. On a very hot, but breezy day, I was talking with a group of builders when I noticed a slight whistling sound. This was traced to a helmet which had been drilled with about 100 small holes - "air conditioning". Merv
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2003 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson As with all PPE, it must be suitable for the purpose. The plethara of bump caps and peakless hard hats all have a purpose, but when a site risk assessment sets certain control measures they should be complied with. If the peakless hard hat is suitable then fine, if not they you have to enforce the alternative - no boots, no peak, no job!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack Peakless hard hats are extremely useful if you work in a process environment where pipework is low slung. With a peak you tend to whack your head a lot more on the plant especially if you are tall. The world is a 'heightist' place! John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2003 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly The reason for the peakless hat is trades like scaffolding where you have to keep looking up the peak interfers with your vision. And can be dangerous. Yours Martin
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2003 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SarahD As an ex-site engineer peakless helmets reduced my stress levels as you keep banging the hat on theodolites etc knocking them out of position, such that engineers tended to put theirs on backwards while surveying, peakless helmets give more protection than peaked ones put on backwards. Do I also dare suggest that with a peakless helmet this chap may have seen what was coming quicker and be able to get completely out of the way? Remember that different helmets suit different situations