Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2003 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 I've just completed a 2 week course on the Nebosh General Certificate and wondered if anyone have recently passed theirs. I'm finding it really hard to keep all the information stored and really worried I'm going to forget everything on the day. My exam is on the 5th September 03. Has anyone got any tips?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2003 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN HOW is one method when considering hazards and risk. piece of cake mr = policy organisation control monitor & review. Always try to include information instruction and training. Best thing we did was to get together and test each other. Even in twos this can help considerably. Each one pick a subject and go over it with each other. All I can Suggest As for NEBOSH exams is revision revision revision. It is worth it at the end. Good Luck Jason (was sick before exam)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2003 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Alison I have sent you an email direct. Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2003 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 thanks for the tips Jason, too be honest feel sick already! Thanks again, unfortunately i did course in Plymouth and I'm from Bristol, so no-one is close to me. But the sayings will come in handy. thanks
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2003 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood Blimey, glad I did mine over 10 weeks - your head must be buzzing! The single most important thing our group did was the past papers - gets you into the habit of answering in the "right" way as well as being useful as general revision (and also, some of the questions may be similar to the ones on your paper - a bonus!). Good luck!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2003 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson Alison I agree with Steve - past papers and examiners reports are definately a good idea. I found the examiners reports in particular helpful as they gave questions and the answers that the examiners were expecting (not always very obvious!). As Steve says the questions in the past papers often pop up again. Good Luck
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2003 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 Thanks for your support - i've been given a few papers, so I think I will have a long look at them? Thanks again
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2003 18:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Read the Question, Read the Question, Read the Question. Underline all the salient points in the question eg: Young, elderly, new starters, describe, explain, etc etc. ALWAYS start with an answer plan in pencil then underline it before you start your answer (you can gain extra marks for putting things in your answer plan that you might not put in your answer). An answer plan is basically a Brain Storm (think the politically correct term now is Thought Shower) scribble down all you can think of it helps you structure your answer better. TIME MANAGEMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT work out before the exam how long you can spend on each question AND STICK TO IT, (put your watch down in front of you on the desk) most of your marks will be gained in the first few minutes of your answer, don't spend an extra few minutes trying to get a few extra marks START THE NEXT QUESTION. Learn to associate words with answers e,g SREDIM, POPMAR, etc. Think Laterally, if a question states it is JULY ask yourself why ? Hot weather etc etc.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2003 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Alison Refer / revise from the HSE idiot guides - they have the key points on them, are simple and short and in English, not legalise. Good luck
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2003 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Beazley I have just finished my course in Southampton for which I got a referal as did many of my collegues ,we had a revision day at college which was helpful to a point . We all agreed that our tuition was pretty poor out of a supposed 80 odd hours we only managed 67 but I will be sitting it again in Dec and will pass this time .use the old exam papers we had some of the questions come up on our exam
Admin  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2003 18:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 I'm sorry to hear you had a referal Rob, Good luck in December. I think I will be there with you. I've got quite a few papers but like I've said in my original e-mail, nothing is sticking. I am ok when verbally talking it but trying to put it in writing is a nightmare! Good Luck
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2003 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Brown Alison My general response to your query is on technique. I'm sure you have studied well and won't have a problem. Take time to read the questions over first before putting pen to paper, then answer the 'easy' ones first and leave the remaining time to apply your mind to the others. Good luck and feel free to discuss at jim@bioforce.co.uk
Admin  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2003 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr I too have just passed my General Certificate. I did it over the coures of 33 weeks at night school which looking back I think is a better way of doing it rather than try and compress all the information you have to take on board in just 12 days.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2003 19:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 Looking back you are absolutely right! for anyone who is looking at doing this course I truely think the best way is over a long period of time so you can digest the information. I've not passed yet, so fingers crossed!!!!!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2003 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison2328 Thanks Jim for your advice, time is nearing so I can only hope what I am taking in sticks and I can remember on the day. I've done past papers and its not looking good at the mo but still working hard on it. My problem is on some questions I think having background helps, which unfortunately I've not got. I will certainly take your advice and do the easy ones first... thank you. regards alison