Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2003 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack As I wait for my pt1 results with baited breath and a hint of (brown) adrenalin, I have just read the disturbing news about changes to the NEBOSH Diploma format. (see http://www.nebosh.org.uk/news.asp) It appears it is about to change (again) and that all those currently on pt1 will have a limited time to up-it to pt2, or presumably, have to start again from scratch in order to achieve the 'full' diploma. As well as developing one's skills and competency, there is also a lot of kudos in striving for MIOSH RSP - if for no other reason than getting a better job. Like many others out there, I have recently invested a lot of my own hard earned dosh in completing pt1 and do not have the luxury of an employer prepared to sponsor pt2. I am extremely worried that I may have gone the wrong route in my studies - and to compound it, the goal posts are probably going to move, meaning that any personal/career development has to be rushed through. Has anyone got a clear understanding or an inside line on the proposals? Am I just looking on the dark side? Please enlighten me and I'll promise to cheer up! John PS Good luck to those awaiting diploma results this/next week!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2003 16:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey John, Don't worry you have plenty of time to complete the NEBOSH Dip 2, if that is your chosen route. I think you have until 2008 to complete your Diploma, you had better check with NEBOSH to be certain though. The changes are coming about because of the change to the national standards for OSH Practice which NEBOSH examinations have to supply the underpinning knowledge for to meet its QCA requirements. You might like to consider one of the alternative routes available to progress towards MIOSH,RSP. These are the NVQlevel 4 in OHS Practice or one of the range of accredited courses features elsewhere on this site.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2003 18:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john r sharp John Don't get to heated at present: you do have time to complete your Diploma. As the previous respondent has said, there are other routes. When you have your results you should be able to consider these. Good luck anyway. Regards John Sharp
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2003 19:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I completed part1 2 years ago and after reading this thread i am now worried. When you are funding yourself £1500 is not that easy aswell as the materials you purchase. I was told 5years was the time between the two. I would be furious if this was the case and probably knock nebosh on the head all together. The stress and research in part 1 for nothing. Na tell me its a wind up please.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2003 22:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher John An important part of the announcement must be NEBOSH's advice - in particular the last sentence of this portion of the release. "A consultative document on the new proposals will be published towards the end of the year with a view to the new award being introduced in mid-2004. The proposals will include provision for those studying for Diploma Part 1, or about to start on a Part 1 course, to continue to the level 4 standard. Those currently holding Part 1 are encouraged to continue with the present Diploma Part 2." Bill
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2003 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi As stated by Hazel, NEBOSH has no choice, but to align its Diploma to the revised NVQ's for by Employment National Training Organisation (EMPNTO) last year. The revision of the "old" NVQ's for Safety Practitioners that were at levels 3 AND 4 to a new structure in which NVQ level 3 IS NOT A PRACTITIONER level qualification has resulted in NEBOSH having to realign its Diploma to provide underpinning knowledge for the revised NVQ's i.e. at level 4. We need to recall that NEBOSH had introduced the 2 part diploma when there were NVQ's at both level 3 and 4 for Occupational Health and Safety Practice. This was done to meet requirement of Part B accreditation from the Qualifications & Curricullam Authority (QCA) As is the case with evolution of all qualifications, developments and change are inevitable. As long as candidates in the "pipeline" are given reasonable time progress towards completion of the qualification, this should not create problems. The NEBOSH news makes it clear that "Those currently holding Part 1 are encouraged to continue with the present Diploma Part 2"
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2003 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack Thanks for all your replies. You'll be glad to know that I have cheered-up and the force is once again with me! Best regards John
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2003 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Jason, If it makes you feel any better, my Legal Practice Course (which lasts 10 months) costs £8,000. Regards. David
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Ruddock I think I'm missing something here. I've just completed (successfully) my NEBOSH gerneral Certificate and have booked myself onto a Dip1 course in Jan. I wasn't aware that there was a time span to get the Dip2. If I didn't do the Part2, what happens after the time limits up ~ do I have to start again?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Norman, There always has been a time limit on when you can enter the NEBOSH exams. This is normal practice for most examination boards. In this case there will also be a change in the style of examination as it will become a one part qualification again. There needs to be a time limit as qualifications quickly cease to be current and so some one coming back after an extended timespan may well find themselves unable to cope. This time span is one of the reasons that IOSH requires those on the RSP and recommends for others, a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme. It is perhaps worth noting here that NEBOSH have a generous time provision, if you are undertaking a university qualification in OSH you get one attempt at the exams with one re-sit only. Even the NVQ has a time-span in which you can complete. If you started an NVQ 5 years ago much of the earlier information would be obsolete. So to answer your question, if you do not complete in the allocated time you will have to start again.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Ruddock Hazel thanks for the information. When do you think the Diploma will become a one part exam, and would you advise I wait? Norman
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 August 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Norman, NEBOSH are saying the new syllabus should be ready in the middle of next year. This probably means that it won't be examined before 2005. One thing to bear in mind when considering your options is that fact that you are currently in studying/exam mode so it is easier to continue than perhaps break and then try and pick it up again. NEBOSH state that they will be making proper transitional arrangements for those in the process of studying. It is really up to you to decide which way to go, based on how you feel, cost etc. Have you looked at any other options?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Norman Ruddock Hazel, Thanks for the info. When I took my NEBOSH General Cert' I looked at the NEBOSH web site to see what was next. Dip1 was describe as being the certificate for the practioner in a low hazard industry (or something like that) so I thought I would take the next step to Dip1 and be happy to stay at that level. Are we saying I can't do that ~ are we saying that if I don't go onto Dip2 then I loose Dip1 after five years ~ or is it simply that I can't do dip2 if I go over time without doing dip1 again. Sorry for not grasping this but a college of mine is now asking the same question. Perhaps you can put us both out of our misery Norman
Admin  
#14 Posted : 21 August 2003 17:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Norman, You won't lose your Diploma part 1 qualification, but you wouldn't be able to progress to part 2 after the specified time as it will no longer exist. The changes to the Diploma are coming about because the national standards on which the qualifications map, have changed. The use of low levels of risk has been discontinued as a measure of competence for individuals. The new level 4 standards recognise that a practitioner needs core skills in whatever situation you may find yourself irrespective of the level of risk of an organisation. The level 3 standards in OSH practice have been discontinued so hence the re-formulation to a Diploma at level 4. IOSH are also re-defining its membership structure to develop this approach. If you are only intending to take one qualification you should seriously consider if taking one which no longer reflects a national standard is what you want. As part of the 2 part Diploma it is fine, as part 2 currently reflects level 4 and will continue to be accepted by IOSH as meeting the academic requirement for corporate membership. Sorry its so complicated, if you would like to give me a call at IOSH I'll be happy to explain things further.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 August 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack Hazel, Again, thanks for your advice. I have a further question regarding membership. I naively held-off applying for IOSH memebership until I gained Dip1 and could realistically gain TechSP. How would this be affected by the change? Will it still stand in the short term but ultimately disappear for Dip1 holders? I hope I am not putting you in an awkward position by asking this. John
Admin  
#16 Posted : 22 August 2003 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey John, No problem. As you aren't a member you probably haven't seen the posting on the closed forum which describes what Council has agreed as the way forward for the IOSH membership structure. It shows here that there will be an STech category beneath the full competent member category. The exact criteria for this category have not yet been devised but I think it is highly likely that existing TechSPs will transfer across directly. So basically in the short term you will be OK for TechSP with a realistic expectation that this will become STech if you haven't already reached the competent member category.