Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2003 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley Hi I would like to ask for sone advice here, in one of our leisure centres wishes to use scaffolding to allow overhead photographs to be taken of sports being carried in their main hall. There are staff at the centre who have been trained to put up scaffolding. The person wishing to take photographs is not an employee. Would it be advisable for this person to use the scaffolding to take the required photographs? Cheers Joe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2003 22:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam Joe: To go to the trouble and risk of erecting scaffolding for a few photos is a bit OTT (over the top). I would tell the photographer to amend his plan. If this is not possible, then there are other ways of getting high-angle shots, such as using a step-ladder with someone holding it steady for your photographer. In this instance a step-ladder would be safer; it would take up less space in the sports hall, and would be quicker to set up and remove. I assume the photographer has been hired by the leisure centre. It might be worthwhile taking a look at: www.isrm.co.uk and their guidelines on the Photography of Children in Sports and Leisure Centres. Hope this is of some help.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt On the other hand, there is no doubt that a scaffold platform is a far better base for photographic work than a stepladder in terms of stability and therefore risk. Some forward-thinking contractors have banned the use of stepladders on their sites for the good reason that people kept falling off them. If the photographic work is going to be extensive and the facilities for a scaffold are available then I would pick that. Others may disagree. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2003 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch I'm with Allan on this one, with the added comment that some enquiries as to the photographer's health, and how he feels working at heights would be prudent. Assuming the scaffold is safely erected it should be suitable for a photographer with a head for heights. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2003 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly The most important thing to do is to check that he is covered by his own or his bosses insurance. Martin
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2003 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley Hi There, Thanks for the replies they have been very helpful, I will certainly take on board what has been said. Cheers Joe
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2003 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis Another issue you may wish to consider, is to ensure he is supervised and not climbing onto the top rail,or removing bits of scaffold to get a better shot. Also to ensure that he doesnt drop any equipment onto anyone below. otherwise i would agree that scafflod zip up tower has got to be the safer option than a stepladder, the photographer would have to use two hands to operate his equipment, I would have thought.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2003 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I like how everybody but Allan has assumed it is a 'he'. This isn't obvious from the original posting. Assuming it is a 'she' would the advice be any different and/or might other factors need to be taken into consideration? Geoff
Admin  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2003 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly You mention that there are persons who are trained to erect scaffolding. Would these people be trained to select and prpoerly use fall arrest equipment? If they were what would they use to provide as a safe anchorage for the fall arrest equipment? It is all very well to erect a lightweight ZIP UP tower wearing fall arrest equipment using the alloy components to clip on to - but have these components been tested? Also a person falling from scaffold tower may bring the tower down with them. I am afraid there is some very wooly thinking here. Amidst all the hoo ha about scaffolders and safety harnesses it is still possible to go along and hire an 8 metre scaffold tower and erect it with only the rudimentary of instruction.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Main Just a thought, but what about using a mobile working platform?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2003 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood ....and remotely trigger the camera during the event(s) to minimise the time the photographer(ess?) has to spend aloft?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 27 August 2003 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt ..... at which stage you throw your hands into the air and give in. Sometimes I think it is better not to ask the question!