Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2003 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway My wife, a science teacher, has asked me to give a 40 min presentation on risk assessment to about 40 14-15 year olds. While I have lots of ideas - I would be appreciative to hear from anyone who has done something similar, and very appreciative of any materials available. Thanks, Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2003 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Have a look at the other thread on a guy who had to give a presentation to work experience people - you will probably find a lot of information on there to help you. Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2003 22:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Sivell Hi Steve I previously posted a similar question regarding induction training for 14 year olds, you may benefit from looking at the advice i was given. Background, i was given a colleagues presentation and asked to deliver it to a group of 14 year olds who were comming into various departments for work experience. The presentation failed to cover the hazards that would be encountered within thier respective placements. The advice i was given was to keep legislation to a minimum and keep them interested. I began by giving them the background to the Health and Morals of Apprentices Act 1802.By the time i had covered how and why these poor orphans and paupers were being killed and injured on a daily basis,i had their full attention. I ephasised the fact that the first health and safety legislation was passed to protect children. Next a very very brief back ground of how health and safety legislation evolved from 1802 to 1972, then breifly the background to the Robens committee and their recommendations which led to the H.A.S.A.W.etc Act 1974 which gave everyone responsibility for health and safety in the workplace(apart from one they were all still with me)next i coverd the employers duties then employees duties. The next areas i covered were hazards-risks and control measures .I was quite surprised with the interaction i received while discussing these areas.I then asked if hazards are identified and control measures put in place why did accidents still happen within the workplace.Here we entered into human behaviour, we make mistakes, forget things ,by pass safety devices,etc,etc. Next if you have an accident,covered first aid arrangements and accident reporting and recording procedures. Finally i covered the hazards and control measures required for specific areas eg fire,manual handling,electricity, noise,work equipment,Chemicals,coshh,and finished with safety signs and ppe. i feel i may have babbled on a bit here and i understand your presentation is on risk assessment,i am employed as a supervisor trainer of 18 to 25 year olds many have never been in employment,iam also their assessor for the vocational qualification they are working towards, i have recognised when covering the health and safety unit they find it easier to digest if i start at the begining (1802)and lead them to where i want to go. i hope you get something from this, i have the presentation unfortunately i did,nt have time to incorporate my notes, these were scribbled on my note pad , if you would like a copy you are more than welcome, e-mail me at rps22b@btinternet.com Although your presentation is on risk assessment