Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2003 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I'm putting together a session on manual handling for people who handle furniture. It would be aimed at loaders at a furniture manufacturers and drivers (who have to offload it). I am having some difficulty in locating a video that covers this type of lifting - any ideas? Thanks Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2003 03:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Geoff: Don't know if there is such a body but there might be a Trade Association or Federation for Removal Contrctors and I am fairly confident that they will have some sort of guidance material that might be of use. As one who is for the third time moving there own personal home internationally, this time back from Hong kong to UK I would also suggest that you contact people like Allied Pickfords: web address: www.allied-pickfords.co.uk/ Others in UK would be Crown Movers, Bishops Move and I am sure that if you enter a search on the web that you will come up with several more companies. These Orgnisations also offer Logistics and Freight forwarding sevices to industry including manufacturing industry so again I am fairly confident that some of them will have some helpful material. All I can say from personal experience is that having watched these guys both in the UK and here in Honmg kong and other parts of Asia prepare, handle, pack and wrap or crate your domestic goods and furnishings and stuff them, (No really handle them carefully) into a 40 foot container for onward shipping is an art in itself. Here in Hong kong it is both labour intensive and ingeniously managed fom a Manual Handling point of view as most residences are in high Rise - can be up to 44storey type tower blocks and the elevators, or lifts to you folk in the UK have to be used. If it doesn't fit in the elevator it won't be moved, (Except and unless you negotiate a very special manual handling rate for it to be taken by the Fire Escape staircase). Hump and Bump they certainly don't in our experience. Hope this is of some help. Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Thanks for the response Ken, but I haven't got anywhere on the internet. Anyone else got any ideas?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2003 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I've not been able to get hold of a video but it might be useful to know that the BFM (British Furniture Association) contact number 0207 724 0851 provide manual handling training for furniture removers and manufacturers at very reasonble rates.