Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Howe Can you tell me what regs cover storage racking (apart from HASAWA and Management Regs. Does PUWER apply for example? Although load bearing, I shouldn't think Loler does. Thanks for comments
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harwood Paul, As far as I am aware, there is no specific legislation with regard to racking, save general duty of care and providing a safe place of work. In the UK the Storage Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) http://www.sema.org.uk/ offers guidance on best practise. I have seen failure to follow this guidance quoted as part of an HSE prosecution following a racking collapse, so it must carry some weight! Alan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gordon Thelwell Hello Paul, As a racking safety inspector, we have used SEMA guidelines in the past. However, the European 'FEM Specifiers Code' is to gradually supercede the SEMA Code. (Remember that SEMA is made up of members from the Racking Manufacturers Industry). The HSE sent a large proportion of their inspectors on the SEMA Inspection course early this year and currently seem to be in the process of a warehouse inspection blitz. Documents sent. Regards, Gordon.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2003 19:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Johnson Paul I have sent some information out of HS(G)76 directly to you, which may be useful. I also think reg 5 of the Workplace (Health Safety & Welfare) Regulations 1992 may be relevant as this requires a suitable system of maintenance, including inspection and testing together with measures to remedy any potentially dangerous defects found. Look in L24 for more info on these regs. Alan