Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2003 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sugden
I have just been informed that we are to be classed as a low tier site under COMAH ! Can anyone please pass on advice re the compilation of a Major Accident Prevention Policy (MAPP)Or where to obtain such ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle
Jim,

I've emailed you direct.

Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Steve,

It would be useful for us if you could give an indication of what it is that you have e-mailed direct to Jim, as well as any comments/experience you have on the subject. That will allow the rest of us to share in your contribution through the forum but more importantly for you, it'll help others decide whether they want to contact you for a copy and prevent you from being bombarded by unwanted email requests!

I've nothing against individual emails when dealing with specifics (I've used it myself) but unless there is some sort of summary response provided on the forum the question/request is not being adequately answered and I personally feel I'm missing out as a result. Sometimes the matter has little to do with my actual job situation, but it is always useful for me to see what is involved in health & safety in other industry sectors as you never know, one day I might apply for a job in one of them and forewarned is forearmed!

Regards,

Sean.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Jim

HSE produce a guidance document called "Major Accident Prevention Policies for Lower-Tier COMAH establishments" (CHIS3)

Sounds like it might be ideal?

Kind regards

Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2003 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ewan Ross
Jim

Having prepared a COMAH Safety Report for a top-tier site, I simple presented the MAPP similair to a H&S Policy but which an emphasis on major accident prevention.

Our MAPP was a basic two summary of the 11 elements of our SMS and it outlined the key personnel who implemted and monitored the effectivness of it.

The MAPP description for REGULATION MONITORING (1st element of our SMS) basically made a committment to ensuring the site was in compliance with regulations, legislation and group (parent) company requirements. The SMS description then went on in more detail how this was/is achieved.

I have see 20 page MAPP's but 2 pages is adequate if backed up with a descriptive SMS.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2003 17:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Thomas Kennedy
If you require a copy of a MAPP or ideas on the content of a Safety Report I would recommend consulting the public register at your local Environment Agency or SEPA office. As joint Competent Authority they hold a copy of the information sent to the HSE. You can copy the information for a small fee.