Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Leon Zacharow
I have been asked to carry out a risk assessment on a swimming pool in a hotel tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a copy of one they may have.

I thought I remembered seeing something on the forum about a month or so ago but could not find anything when I searched for it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Leon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
I remember there was a question of this nature (hazard identification) in the NEBOSH Certificate exam of June 2002 - if you can get hold of a set of examiners notes it should help you go in the right direction.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Johnson
Leon
Try to get hold of a copy of HSG 179, it should give you some good pointers. However if you have only got one day to prepare for this assessment it may be a tall order.
I may have a copy if so I will send it direct.

Alan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2003 00:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Leon: I think the question a while back was about NOP/EAP (Normal Operating Plan and Emergency Action Plan). Where swim pools are concerned, there's a lot to consider. In the time we have available, here is a few general pointers. Ask to see their Water Test Records - tests should be done regularly throughout the day. There are 2 kinds of risk assessments for swim pools:
Activity RA - usage to which pool is put,e.g. general swimming; programmed activities (swim teaching; aqua aerobics).
Formal RA - identifies physical hazards, e.g.
design features of the pool; steps & rails to hold onto allowing safe entry/exit into pool; look for any sharp edges around edge of pool (broken tiles).
Trip hazards: grating covering the overflow fits properly; equipment is stored away after use - not left lying around poolside; Slip hazards: wet floors go hand-in-hand with swim pools but you could look for excessive amounts of water collecting in an area which could be due to poor drainage.
Look for evidence of lifesaving equipment on poolside. Availability of survival blankets in event of evacuation. Hotel pools are often unguarded. Do they have CCTV covering the pool? Any poorly lit areas of the pool?
COSHH also applies to chemicals used to disinfect pool water (where & how stored, etc). How is the poolside cleaned; what cleaning materials are used, etc.
Also check the changing rooms/shower areas adjacent to the pool.
Conclusions from RA should be incorporated into the NOP/EAP.