Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
After discussions with various other safety managers there appears to be a deal of difference as to how accidents are reported. It would appear that some "first aid visits" are NOT classed as accidents, i.e. small cuts, slips or bumps to the head. I find this quite concerning as surely the idea of accident reporting is having the knowledge and information to hand to enable us to prevent further such accidents occurring?

This would surely shed some light on the workplaces who display the notice boards proclaiming "x days - Accident free".

Can anyone else throw some information my way as to how they record (or not) accidents in the workplace.

Let's just hope the RIDDOR reporting of these managers is a bit more precise, or am I missing the point?

All comments welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
A large number of organisations use the 'over 3 day' accident as their baseline when calculating their accident rate. Anything less is not recorded in their 'public' statistics.

Hence big signs saying '1,000,000 hours without an accident' can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

On one occasion a brickie had broken his leg and was employed doing paperwork while he recovered. His accident hadn't been reported because he was back at work (with a large plaster cast) within the 3 days - despite the fact he wasn't doing his normal job.

It's why incentive schemes to reduce accident levels can be questionable - the real number of accidents is often hidden.

Geoff
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Walker
I cover three different workplaces spread with different hazards at each site. Any "incident" which requires first aid attention is reported to me as H & S Manager. I also gather all the non-injury, property damage and off-site reports as well. All of this inforamtion gets fed to the Board of Directors at the end-of-the month. As a back check we monitor the stock being used in the first aid rooms to ensure that there is at least a rough tally between the items used and the reports received. We even go so far as to split our "cut" reports up into knife, sharps and paper sources to see what we can do. How can workplaces direct resources or preventative measures properly without the back-up of accurate accident reports?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2003 17:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Mark,

riddor is a good guide, but the three day rule is a nonsense. (I have heard that it dates from the beginning of the national health service when doctors, required to certify people as unfit to work protested that there would be too many "minor" illnesses and injuries requiring surgery visits and sick notes. Thus the three-day rule to cut down on doctor's work load)

For me, anything requiring medical treatment, not first aid which just happens to be administered by a medically qualified person, gets the full treatment.

"Minor" first aids are trickier. Here I try to encourage a "no fault, no blame" culture. "Please tell us about even the smallest injury - we need this info so that we can do something before you are a colleague suffer a worse injury from the same cause, and we will be ever so ever so grateful"

It helps, but you can never guarantee 100% reporting. I cut myself a bit with a breadknife this morning - a few drops of blood which I sucked off, not even a
plaster. And I certainly didn't tell my wife - she would have just laughed (safety man ? Huh !) Who has never "hidden" such a minor injury, at work or at home ?

Merv Newman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
Mark

Ensure that the way you classify incidents aligns with the way your paperwork / collection process is completed. Typically using property damage only, minor - up to first aid level but can return to work, major - hospital treatment or nonpermanent injury, Serious - permanent injury or unlikely to return to work.

In addition you can place your F2508s in the major catagory but beware that your insignificant over 3 day incidents will clutter up your data.

You could graph your data as :
Total number of incidents, number of lost time incidents, average days lost per incident, reportable incidents (F2508.

If you aligned your methodology with the HSE's accident reporting catagory, see latest cost of incident guidance, you could graph your data by cost.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2003 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
For those who might not have been party to it, there was recent a discussion regarding "near-miss" incidents (raised by Peter MacDonald on 29/8) that is very relevant to this discussion. It all comes down to an effective reporting culture and a general understanding of the purpose behind recording incidents by all concerned, especially reporting incidents that didn't result in injury.

One definition that I thought encapsulated it nicely was "any unexpected or unplanned event or circumstance that has given rise to or could give rise to actual or potential loss, injury or ill health or other unwanted effect." The key element was "has given rise to or could give rise to" so it covers all eventualities. So, should I report this? Put it to the test - did it cause harm/damage or could it have caused harm/damage? There is very little that could be justified away as not reported if that definition is being applied correctly.

But I feel that there is another side to this - the pertinence of reporting. If all of the data falls into a black hole and is not being disseminated back to the workforce, they start to ask themselves "why are we wasting our time doing this?". It is important that the information being gained is properly analysed and effectively reported back, otherwise there is no incentive to report.

And safety incentives based on reduced accidents, especially fiscal rewards . . . well, there is a good Dilbert strip that addresses just this point, where the winner of the safety award for having no accidents said "if it weren't for awards there'd be no incentive not to have accidents". Obviously the wrong way round! A good accident record is something to be proud of, of course, but if doing nothing and hiding the actual accident rate will continue to be rewarded, then we only have ourselves to blame - it always surprises me the sometimes obvious lack of foresight and understnding of human behaviour exhibited in such ill-concieved plans, that often fall at the first hurdle and further bring the safety profession into disripute amongst those who need our contribution the most - the workers.

Make sure the accident reporting system is simple, consistent, easily accessible and user friendly and most of all, pertinent to those who use it.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper
At our company ALL accidents are reported.
If you consider the accident triangle, then you need to address all the near misses to prevent injury accidents.Yhis is now being addressed.

In an effort to ensure all injury accidents are recorded, I have given our first aiders a recording form for them to record all first aid injuries they attend to.

We do not have "First Aid boxes", all first aid treatment is provided by our first aiders, even issuing of plasters, so no first aid accidents go unrecorded.
Also the first aid boxes don't end up empty within the first 2-3 days of filling.

The system works very well

Barry
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 September 2003 22:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
At our place we report absolutely everything - minor cuts, small burns, minor bumps, slips and trips. We have quite good buy in because I tell people when they come in that the accident book is as much for their benefit as for ours and perhaps more so. The accident book will prove to a court of law that the employee did actually hurt him or herself at work on said date at said time, if it is not entered in the book then it is their word against mine - this seems to work on the psyche.

I am absolutely against this "x days without a lost time accident" and any reward scheme attached thereto, this can only encourage people not to report accidents so how beneficial to the long term accident reduction plan is that?

My own view - report anything and everything, it may be a wasted piece of paper at the end of the day but a few sheets of paper may be all that stands between you and litigation - it is not worth doing otherwise.

Hilary

Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
I find Geoff's Brickie example interesting. Surely this would have been RIDDORable anyway as the IP was not able to undertake his or her "normal" work for over three days. Also we need to make the distinction between recording for HSE purposes and recording for DSS purposes.
In the final event I often do a rant on how the paper cut can lead to the major nuclear accident (normally as an example of what is NOT reasonable foreseeable).
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2003 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater
I'm pleased to say that we seem to be in agreement with most of you on the view that ALL accidents should be recorded. It does seem crass to artificially lower your accident figures by "selecting" which accidents to record.

I'm pleased we, as a company, seem to be on the right path. Hopefully a few of the "other" managers I mentioned will now realise what Health & Safety is really all about.

I especially enjoyed the reference to the Dilbert cartoon - I shall use that one in the future.

Many thanks to all the contributors,

Kind regards,
Mark
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Thompson
Regarding the response from Geoff, surely the fractured leg would have been reportable due to the fact that it was a fracture, even if he did not have 3 days of work.

P.S
I agree that all accidents (no matter how minor)and near misses should be reported as a measure of prevention for more serious ones. Otherwise you are just asking for trouble since you are not able to investigate the root causes

Lee
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2003 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Exactly!