Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Byrne Hi, I'm a safety advisor for a safety company in the construction industry and recently we have had a Blacksmith join us as new memeber! However it is quite a large blacksmiths, very old, no guarding or much at all in the way of safety. They have furnaces, large power hammers etc, everything you would expext in a blacksmiths. Does anyone know of any specific guidance for blacksmiths ? I have got several guidance sheets on foundrys but have not found anything or anyone who has dealt with a blacksmith. If any one can offer any advice it would be much appreciated. Michael
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2003 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Michael, your risk assessment is going to cover eye, hand, foot and body protection in addition to exposure to fumes, heat, non ionising radiation, repetitive strain injury, manual handing, coshhh (exposure to chemical fumes during quenching)PUWR and, normally for farriers, risk of being kicked by a horse. This is the kind of situation we, in the safety industry would designate as a "challenge", or "a learning experience" I do hope this develops a good "thread" as it is an opportunity to compare "traditional" crafts with " modern" practice. I hope you are studying for a degree as I see "Masters" material here. Come on, you "practiitionners" and Fellows, what do you have to say ? Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2003 22:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Michael, Bit of a long shot but try contacting the Confederation of British Metalforming (CBM)in West Bromwich on 0121 601 6350. They are the trade body for many metal bashing firms and may have some sector guidance. Regards, Paul Craythorne