Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2003 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Have any of you experience of using front end loaders / excavators or similar as lifting equipment. If you have - can you clarify the current situation for me. I know that in the past they could be used with exemption certificates. I know they now need check valves. I know that the slings or similar aren't to be placed on the bucket teeth and that there is supposed to a purpose designed attaching point. I know LOLER applies. I just wonder what am I missing and if their is some official code of practice or whatever?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2003 22:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater Benedict, Be careful what you use this type of equipment for. Remember it must be: 1. suitable for the load 2. adapted for that purpose - not a home-made bodge, and 3. suitable for the environment in which it will work. Reg 4 of LOLER really gives you the answers you are looking for. Before you decide to go ahead and lift - look at the worst case scenario and ask yourself if you have done enough to satisfy any legal challenge if anything does go wrong. Suitable and sufficient! Cheers, Mark