Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi there, You know the guys who remove roadmarkings by burning them off with a massive blowtorch thing? That thing gives off a lot of noise - it almost sounds like a jet engine. Well, I saw contractors outside our work using it with no hearing protection. I don't know how they were not in pain. I phoned the contractor and gave off to the person in charge of their H&S who was like, "So? It's up to them to wear it". Because I had phoned from our company, I didn't get into an argument with her; although if I had of been speaking as an individual I would have given her a piece of my mind about her duty to enforce wearing, etc. However, the whole thing now seems to have turned into a hot potato. People have complained to the local council and I think that the issue is to be raised at a council meeting which is good. Details of the goings on at council meetings get published in local papers so it will help increase awareness of H&S. However, what I want to know is, has anyone an idea of the noise that one of things produces? Is there anyone out there who has actually measured it? Regards, Karen Todd
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2003 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Karen - I know the beast you mean and unfortunately I do not have any data - my main reason for responding was to say - Good for you. We do not complain enough about things that clearly could have serious implications for peoples health & safety - the more of us H&S folk that get involved, even in things that are not to do with our own employers, the better. Good on Yer!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2003 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wheatley Hi Karen, There are several types of 'the beast' out there, the jet engine comment is not far away (140dBA), I had contractors using one of these, it's compressed air and propane gas, mixed in a heat resisant chamber on the end of a lance. The readings obtained (from memory)were: Sound Pressure Level peaking 140dBA, the conclusion was that earmuffs had to be worn with a SNR of 32dB.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2003 16:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Steve, Thanks for the figures. I had guessed the noise was somewhere in that region. I don't know how they weren't in pain. I certainly wouldn't subject myself to it voluntarily. I did notice though that the 2 guys swapped very frequently (every 5 minutes)- one drove the lorry along and the other burned the lines off the road. I don't know whether this was because of the noise or not but I did notice that the guy in the lorry kept the windows up even though it was quite hot, which would suggest that it was because of the noise. Thanks again, Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Ashton Karen, just a thought, recalling one of my early interventions.... Are you CERTAIN the guys were not wearing hearing protection? Some types of ear plug are very difficult to spot from a distance - and even up close you need to look very closely. (I once tried to speak to a press operator about his lack of hearing protection, and got blank uncomprehending stares - until the guy removed his disposable, and very deeply inserted, plugs - and had to get a new pair... Something like shame....) One reason for preferring ear muffs to plugs is that it can be easier to enforce... But plugs may be less uncomfortable in hot conditions... and don't interfere with other PPE so much.. On a hot sunny day, stripping road markings, the flames washing around your wellies can raise the temperature to uncomfortable levels - were the guys rotating the job to take turns removing their footwear in an the air conditioned cab... which would be why the windows were closed? Just a reminder that sometimes it is easy to jump to the wrong conlusions on inadequate evidence. I'm not trying to diss your efforts to intervene - as your previous respondents have said, more responsibility needs to be taken by all of us for our fellow human beings... Steve