Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2003 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair For reasons I won't go into, I have just had cause to check a well known provider's professional indemnity insurance policy for Health and Safety Practitioners. The first line of the policy states that the policy is issues on a "claims paid" basis and as such the policy only covers claims notified to the insurer during the life of the policy. Since many (if not most) health and safety issues will only come to light years after the initial advice was given, Health and Safety Consultants, who have this type of policy will find they are not covered by their policy. Consultants need to be aware that any claim arising in say 2005, for advice given in 2003, will not be covered by his 2003 indemnity insurance policy. This is despit the fact that an injured person has three years from the date of occurrence to sue for damages. This is scary. Regards. David
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards David, These sorts of clauses are normally linked into 'run on' due to the latent claims in such areas. If you would like to send me a copy of the terms you have looked at I can provide you with a lawyer's opinion which may ( or not) set your mind at rest. You can fax it to me on 0870 240 6780 FAO Bob or give us a call on 0870 240 4325 for a chat about it. Insurers are bound by the rules of the General Insurance Council which would make a single year only clause for PI outside their rules.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2003 07:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maddy McMahon David I believe that all Professional Indemnity insurance policies in the UK are written on a "claims made" basis. Claims are covered by the policy active at the time of notification and not the policy in force at the time the event happened. And so if you don't renew the policy you don't have any cover if a new claim is made after the policy has expired. "Claims made" policies (other than PI) are unusual but your insurance broker should be able to explain the implications and what you need to do to make sure you are adequately covered. As a client, you could specify in the contract that the contractor takes out PI insurance for a specific number of years after the work has been completed, although I'm not sure how useful this would be in practice. Regards Maddy
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I believe this is quite normal. I'm a consultant and my insurers have worked the same way. The policy active at the time of notification coughs up (hopefully), so you don't have to worry about a former insurer still being in business. The downside is you should keep a policy going for a few years after practising. I'm considering a full-time job right now and this is something I have to factor in when deciding if it's worth it.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards I have looked at many insurance policies in pursuit of negligence claims and the majority covering consultancy work in high risk fields have always been ' duration of certificate' ie claims arising during the time a policy was in force. I would very much like to look at the wording of the policies discussed in this thread, as clearly if the writers are correct, some of the policies are next to useless for those relying on them. The concern then should also be the consultants as they are personally liable for the negligence also!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2003 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New When I gave up consultancy and went to work solely for a single employer, I was advised to continue to pay my PI insurance for six years after stopping. This 'run off' period,(in theory), tapers off in cost over the six year period. The advice was given not only by the insurance company (who obviously have a vested intrest), but by others in the legal and insurance related industry as well.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2003 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Thank you for all your comments on this subject. My primary aim was to raise peoples (primarily consultants)awareness to the fact that when they cease trading (i.e. retire or move into employment), they may still be liable for claims arising for many years (6-12 in most cases). Those thinking about going into consultancy for the first time (as well as existing consultants) should seriously consider Company status, or Limited Liability Partnerships ("LLP"), to limit future liability. Regards. David Regards. David
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Dave I'm not sure being incorporated gives that much protection. The employee/s of a limited company can be prosecuted/sued for negligence anyway - viz Fatty Arbuckles. But I do agree about the PI and keeping it in place for a number of years after retiring - do Consultants retire or just fade away! Geoff
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2003 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith David, Following the Merrett v Babb case in 2001, a salaried professionals can now be liable in his or her personal capacity, to a client, notwithstanding that they were acting in the course of their employment when the advice was given. Limited company status no longer protects you from future potential claims.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2003 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Grace A belated response - from within the insurance industry. All Prof Indemnity policies are written on a claims made style - always have been and I guess always will be. Suggestions about securing "run off" protection are well made. Merrett V Babb case wasn't really about individual being sued "in their own right". The guy had signed a report - using his own professional expertise and judgement. If/when a claim was made in the future he would ordinarily have been protected by his employers PI cover. But, his employer was wound up and those in charge of the winding up failed to purchase run off cover thus exposing him to personal risk. Regards
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 September 2003 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Thank all This thread has been very interesting. I was considering going self employed after obtaining the nebosh 2 and registering ith iosh. (2years from now hehehehe) I am due some monies and thought i was covering everything and that included pi. I now will tred carefully with these policies and ensure I will have the cover needed after Im a milionare and happily retired at 33 (dont think so). Seriously i would have missed this point and probably failed to keep pi should i have decided to be employed for a comany.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2003 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Phil/[everybody], I am sorry for the delayed reponse, but I have recently returned to the College of Law to complete my training. Phil, I agree with everything you say, but that still does not all professionals. The Merrit -v- Babb case is still relevant, particularly where a company ceases to trade and does not/cannot obtain run-off insurance. My understanding from recent discussions with brokers on this very matter is that run-off insurance is usually only given for 6 years, whereas health and safety claims (particularly health cases) can arise for up to 30 years. Secondly, run-off insurance may not be available, particularly where thep professional has worked in a high-risk industry. As the current political move is more towards individual liability, I think there is still a major problem with Professional Indemnity cover. Regards. David
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2003 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith David, I have also asked a broker about the issue of buying run off insurance after a company has folded. He also suggested that it would be very difficult to obtain and if you could it would be very expensive because of greater potential risk of a claim as an outcome of the company folding. We also discussed individual liability, but the problems here is that loss adjusters representing the employer may then try and immediatly pass the claim on to you. There is a school of thought amongst some within the insurance industry that being insured can increase the likelihood of a claim exposure. When I was a nurse, by being a member of the Royal College of Nursing I had professional indemnity insurance automatically as part of my membership. It would be interesting to know how much a similar scheme would cost if IOSH did something similar?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 October 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair Arran, I agree with that sentiment. One possible solution for smaller consultants, who for various reasons do not wish to become limited liability companies is to consider Limited Liability Partnerships ("LLP"). This form of partnership could provide with with all the advantages of a limited liability company, while still retaining the tax, etc. benefits of being a partnership. As an LLP, the consultant's liability is limited to the assets of the partnership, which don't usually (unless they have been badly advised) include their house, furniture, personal chattels, etc. That way, when the consultant retires/ceases trading, all debts end as well. Just a thought... Regards. David