Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2003 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Marshall Excuse this if it sounds like a customer compliant but I would like to opinion of the safety prefessionals from the airlines. After having the misfortune to travel in a row 30 seat in a 757 (not able to to recline and shorter than standard seat). How does the airlines deal with a potential claim of failure under section 3 HSWA when thier enginering design could produce a symptom such as DVT or any other injury and that this design clearly puts profit before a percieved safety issue. Cleary I am not after defined answers for this or to hold anyone to task but I would be interested to see who has already put things in place or considered to protect thier company against a potential corporate killing charge.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2003 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Since no-one else has tackled this, and I hate seeing a (0) next to a message... The airline is not under any absolute duty in this case, and needs to do what is practicable at most. The engineering design you refer to would be quite tricky to correct as it would have many knock-on effects, probably including emergency escape. I know how you feel, and I have long legs. But solving the problem is never as easy as it sounds, and the cost would be enormous (basically replacing all those planes).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Marshall Thanks for the lone reply however I do think I may have misled you with regard to the point I was making. The seats that I refer to could be removed and the row to the front of them expanded and sold as 'premier class' seats. I guess we just let it drift.... Thanks Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2003 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Anyone who's interested in DVT risk might be interested in this: "DVT RESEARCH 'FLIGHT' Researchers from the University of Leicester are to undertake a study, which could prove for the first time if there is a link between flying and potentially lethal blood clots. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) has been dubbed "economy-class syndrome" after being linked to a string of cases in which people have died following long-haul fights. The condition is known to be caused by sitting still for long periods, but it has never been proved if there is any specific link to flying. Hospitals in Leicestershire typically see around 1,000 cases of DVT a year, although only a small proportion of these will have happened after people have been flying. Now, a team of researchers at Glenfield Hospital is to carry out a study on 32 healthy volunteers, who will sit through an eight-hour simulated flight, with a cabin pressure equivalent to that at an altitude of 8,000ft, at RAF Henlow, in Bedfordshire. Volunteers will be monitored to see if the flight triggers the body's blood clotting system. The study is part of an international research programme, the WRIGHT project, which is being overseen by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), to quantify how big a risk flying is and to identify any risk factors which could make one person more likely to suffer DVT than another. The work is being funded by the UK Government Department for Transport, the Department of Health, and the European Commission. The study is headed by Dr William Toff, Senior Lecturer in Cardiology, in collaboration with Alison Goodall, Professor of Thrombosis & Haemostasis, both of whom are based in the Department of Cardiovascular Sciences in the University’s Clinical Sciences Unit at Glenfield Hospital. Dr Toff said: "We are looking to clarify the strength of the association between long-haul air travel and DVT. We accept there probably is a link. "The study aims to find out if there's anything specific about the aeroplane cabin that makes it more likely for people to get a clot, over and above the risk from sitting still. "We are particularly interested in the possible effects of the reduced air pressure and oxygen levels." Professor Goodall added: “The results of this study should not only determine whether there really is a risk to air travellers but will help to inform us on the best way to prevent DVT during long-haul flights” DVT means blood clots form in the deep veins of the legs, from where they may travel up to the lungs, causing breathing difficulties and, in some cases, death. A spokesman for British Airways said: "We believe there should be much more research done on, and greater understanding of, the risks of DVT. We are already taking part in research and the more research that is done, the better it will be." Anyone interested in taking part in the DVT research should call the team on 0116 2563046 for more information." As it says here, the key factor with DVT is sitting still for long periods. So the advice at present is to move around as much as possible during your flight - wander about in the aisles (annoy the cabin crew) and, if your airline shows one of those videos with soppy exercises to do while you're sitting in your seat, do them! Diane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2003 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Steve, difficult to give an opinion so whatever I may say is my opinion and not that of my employers etc. Firstly do not under any circumstance 'annoy the cabin crew' as you could be arrested and could be imprisioned/fined and pick up the cost of diverting the aircraft - air rage etc. Aircraft are very expensive and are normally designed in another country so UK H&S law does not apply to the design, so how do foreign registered aircraft comply and to what standard? Do they have to comply before they land etc again to what standard. In the world of today and the general state of the airline industry world wide airlines are trying to keep costs low and save cash so taking out a row of seats is vastly expensive and is not as simple as undoing a few bolts and taking it away, as well as the lost revenue this causes. Airlines will and do make sure that safety on board is the number one priority and will do anything to ensure that this is done, because without the travelling public their is no airline
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Dave, I see you picked up my lighthearted comment "annoy the cabin crew" and took it seriously! This was meant to be a teensy joke-ette suggesting that walking up and down in the aisles will annoy the cabin crew. In my own experience the crew don't mind at all if you leave your seat for a leg stretch. If anyone else managed to infer that I was somehow advocating "air rage" type harassment of cabin crew then I apologise! But I sincerely hope most people took the comment as meant. Diane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Hi Diane, I took yor passing wittisism in the manner in which you had intended it, so no offence or need to apologise, its like you say that as this is site is viewed by a lot of people I was just toeing the party line so to speak. I was watching somwething the other night and they made a comment about only 8% of your commuication skills are used in 'chat' rooms, which I thought was interesting as you do not see expressions, tone, pitch movement etc and it is very easy for another person to totally misunderstand the 'way' in which things are percieved on here, for my part people who know me, will understand the manner and have a bit of a laugh as some of the comments are said with tongue in cheek so to speak. On another note, plug plug etc please take note of the pre flight advice and the advice on the aircraft (in BA 'well being' programme) to ensure that you have the safest, secure and best possible experience on board and if you dont let a member of the Cabin Crew or ideally the Cabin Services Director / Purser know. Heres a good one from this weeks BA News a bloke who was 'cash concious' in the US sent himself as 'cargo' on an internal trip (NYC / Texas) to his mums in a wooden crate (15 hour journey), he was arrested as he was trying to break out of the box when it was delivered. He was lucky to be alive as the aircaft in question (not BA) was pressuriesd and heated. The crux is that for the 550 US dollars (£350)he paid he could have flown First Class!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2003 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Interesting info Diane. Heres me thinking the causes of DVT were already identified as caused by small seats and poor air quality. Dave, a row of poor seats less and a bit better air is surely "reasonably practicable". I know the economics, but if I can fly to spain for less that it costs for the taxi to the airport there are room for savings on premium flights. Particually for the monopoly airline such as Air France and good ol BA.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2003 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson You having a bubble Jim? Dont want to get into the debate about air quality or DVT on aircraft suffise to say you extremely misled. Low cost airlines who get given money to fly to obscure airports will, in my opinion, soon be a thing of the past as the latest EU ruling against Ryanair. Thats why they can seel cheap because they are being paid to bring passengers to the airport in question otherwise would you fly to an airport 75 miles away from the main airport and the airline will get you a rate with the taxi and the hotel who are also paying them to get people into their taxis and rooms. Look at the small print mate. No frills and full service are two totally diffirent animals , the CEO of Ryanair is quite right when he says dont bother complaining as no one will reply because you get what you pay for, buy a cheap ticket and you get cheap service! If you go to ba.com or any other of the major carriers and compare their prices asgainst the low cost you will see that they are not as really low cost as you think, plus you get fed, free beer, allocated seat and more importantly put up in a hotel if things go wrong, with no frills you get your money back or the next flight and left to fend for yourself. Lost bag who cares, compensation who cares, food voucher cos flight late no chance it all adds up mate. You ever watched that 'Airline' when they tell the passengers that the flight is cancelled? Have a look in the background all the other staff have disappeard into the back office as they know the flak they are about to get £35 to London don't tell you its one way and Luton or Stanstead! tax and insurance not included only allowed 15k of baggage and extra kilos is expensive, you tried going on hols with less than 25k each thats another £80 excess baggage each now ticket is £140 each, I would strongly advise anyone using these airlines to get insurance before you go to cover flight cancellations because you may need it, full service airlines will pay for hotel and a flight home, how do you think that these airlines make their money? . Anyway you wound me up like a kipper mate so I'm going home.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 September 2003 21:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Interesting and topical point, particularly as a friend on mine recently lost his daughter-in-law due to DVT on a long-haul flight. I know little about DVT but reading the various threads a thought occurred, there are a number of activities (mostly travel) that require a person to sit still or relatively still in cramped surroundings but they do not seem to cause DVT. Is it I wonder more to do with the cabin air pressure as opposed to the ergonomics? Noting the remark that the University of Leicester (I am a student there) will be doing some research and testing those at an air pressure of 8,000 ft I believe, when normal long-haul flights are 34-37,000 ft. Would this anomoly cause the research to be invalid or is the air pressure much the same? Dave, you might know or be able to find out. Ray
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Ray, 8000 ft (circa 2500m) does seem a bit low, but then the higher up you get, the more difficult it is for the scientist to conduct an experiment without being affected by the altitude themselves. Maybe a comparison between research on DVT & that on the observed illnesses suffered by high altitude mountaineers would help. All sorts of weird things occur above 8000m (circa 28000 feet) hence the term 'Death Zone' in mountaineering. They are usually fatal unless the casualty rapidly loses altitude. Sounds like an intresting project. Apologies if this is a red herring, it was just an idle thought.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Ray, Sorry to hear about your friends daughter mate, a tradegy and my best wishes go out to them. As far as the flight level question, 35000ft is about right for longhaul, give or take a few 1000's dependand on routing / destination etc.