Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2003 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE MCMAHON
Pointers please, my company is about to adopt an iso 18000 ( non acreditted ) , to assisst them in their internal audting of health and safety ,also carried out are enviromental as well as quality audits.
My question is , would an unacreditted iso give any real depth , considering they also have a good working relationship with 'in house' TUC educated union safety reps , who freely oblige , and already undertake help with risk assessments, safety committee's and are proactive in most fields of health and safety .
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2003 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Think it is important for 'accreditation' in the manufacturing industry to show customers 'consistency of approach'.

Ask yourself why are you doing this and with 'accreditation' what benefits would you gain. Still put forward and undertake the principles but dont get accredited.

ISO/BSI/IIP??? why?? if you are implementing and doing this, and doing it well, then why do you need the 'badge' its more of a 'commercial / marketing' gain in that 'look at us arent we good!' and this may be of benefit, depends on the drivers involved.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2003 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
First and foremost, I presume that you are referring to OHSAS 18001 --There is nothing like ISO 18000.

The advantages and disadvantages have been a subject of this discussion forum several times.

I will e-mail information compiled from a variety of sources that explains the background and status of OHSAS 18001

There is some information on this in IOSH's Systems in Focus on advantages & disadvantages .
http://www.iosh.co.uk/fi...stemsinFocus0302wv%2Epdf
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Sneddon
Hi Steve,

Adopting and having your safety management system in compliance with OHSAS 18001 and certified by a 3rd party certification body has the major advantage of offering confidence to those with an interest in your company. Confidence that there is management commitment to establishing and maintaining a safety management system.

The services offered by your safety rep' can easily compliment various system elements of OHSAS 18001.

Jim