Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2003 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Elcock I'd like some advice on selecting journals to subscribe to. We are an enforcement agency in the Caribbean, and we are involved in many aspects of OSH ... hygiene, ergonomics, accident investigation, workplace inspections, training ... the whole gamit. Which journals should we start with?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Alison, Membership of IOSH means you automatically get SHP (Safety and Health Practitioner) - what else would you need? Seriously though, I have relied on my SHP for articles and discussions, this forum for advice, and the HSE website for facts and guidance on the law. My aim is to ensure I remain suitably informed for the lowest cost and so far I've found my IOSH membership to be the most effective means of achieving that.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2003 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston I'll second that. Shane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I'd also recommend membership of the IIRSM. It's always better to get two points of view (imagine if you only read The Times each day!) and their magazine provides a very practical point of view on H&S. Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2003 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson The SHP and the Safety Management Mag are practically identical!!!! The major difference is that in the SHP thats where all the jobs are advertised! E mail me with your address and I will send you a couple of copies of back issues of both so you can make your own mind up, as they go in the bin anyway after a few months. As you are in a very nice place I can come and visit you and give you some advice about 6 months would be enough time!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2003 21:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Sorry, Dave, I'm with Geoff on this one. They seem rather different to me and a combination of 'The Times' and a tabloid can help to give you a better view of what's happening.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2003 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston I must agree that the two journals are different. If you look at the Q&A sections in both, you can see that the readership of SHP tends to have a better knowledge of the law etc than the other. And the rest of the publication reflects that difference. That said nobody is an expert in every field and I do find the IRRSM journal useful on subjects I know little about. Shane
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 September 2003 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I find it interesting that we H&S professionals actually think that non H&S people read our mags, In all honesty I only get it for the jobs section, Must rush out and buy my copy of pigeon fanciers monthly! or 'Stuff'