Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Something that really gets my goat is when health & safety advisers talk about 'safety' committees, 'safety' policies etc - instead of 'Health & Safety' committees etc. Safety accidents cause 200 to 300 deaths a year whereas ill-health causes 10,000 to 20,000 deaths a year. I know it's easier to just say 'safety' but we must emphasise 'health' more! Maybe I'm just being pedantic and need to get out more!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2003 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I've just been promoted from Health & Safety Manager to Group Safety Manager. There is also a Group Health Manager who looks after the Occ Health part of the equation. Whats in a name, the jobs the same! I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the only reason our profession was called Health & Safety in the beginning was the Kudos that the Health profession had in society and in an attempt at aligning Safety amongst the elite we used it to raise our profile. The story went on to say thats the reason why Health came before Safety in the name. Can anyone remember this or am I getting as senile as Geoff Burt?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2003 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt You'll remember Ron, I did say you would be unsufferable once you got this promotion! I remember a long long time ago in a seminar being asked what the 'health' was for in my job title (in the days when I had a proper job) - and being temporarily stumped. But when you consider it, our job is as much about health as it is safety in the sense that our mission is to do what we can to allow people to have a long and healthy retirement. When you carry out a risk assessment, or COSHH or Fire, the aim is to put in place conditions that allow people to retain their current health. And to answer the question I've always called H&S Committees - H&S Committees. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2003 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Shouldn't that be "insufferable"?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2003 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Surely if you get safety right there shouldn't be any affects on an individuals health. In my opinion, safety should come first, Health is simply a failure of safety. As for titles, I'm an Occupational Risk Adviser, the job is the same regardless. Shane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2003 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Yes, you're right Ron, please accept my apologies for calling you unsufferable when it should have been insufferable. See, you live and learn!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2003 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Have a nice day Geoff
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We tend to go even further and our committee is the Environmental, Health and Safety Committee - how does one separate environmental issues such as radiation, clean water, air emissions, waste products, etc from health and safety? There has to be some degree of overlap. Let us not forget however, that s2 calls for us to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable the health, safety and welfare of all staff but we cannot go round calling ourselves the health and safety and welfare committee so we shorten it to safety committee or safety officer - it fits better on slogans and badges apart from anything else. I guess at the end of the day it's all semantics. Hilary
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2003 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess Surely we should just call it the Environmental, health, safety, welfare and risk management committee. Ooh it just rolls off the tongue.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2003 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave The reason a Safety Committee is called a Safety Committee not a Health & Safety Committee is because the Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regs call them that. You will probably find most Trades Unions use the term to make a distinction between a properly constituted committee jointly owned by employers and unions and various other purely management activities.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2003 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Quite right, Nigel - and I thought the title 'health and safety' came from the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974. Come to think of it, perhaps we should be health, safety, etc practitioners as quite a bit of 'etc' seems to be part of the job these days. As a health and safety officer, my job certainly includes quite a bit of health as well as safety (eg health issues for pupils in schools and adults in care homes). Just as safety (or rather the lack of it)can affect health, health conditions can affect the safety of others. Ramazzini was right too back in the 17th century but the message still needs to get home in some areas.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2003 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I'm as guilty as anyone here. I talk about Safety, and sometimes have to explain that it is just a shorthand for Safety Health and Environnement. A little bit of history - which will probably bore the pants offf most of you, but I like it, so there. I used to be one of the european "safety" consultants for Du Pont (sorry, sorry). As related to me, in about 1910 - 1920, Du pont introduced a "Fire Protection (FP)" advisory service for it's (then) US plants. When I joined Du Pont in the sixties, this had recently become Safety and Fire Protection (S&FP). When in 1976 I became Safety manager in Du Pont (UK) Ltd, this had become Safety and Occupational Health (S&OH) Somewhere in the eighties, we became SHEA - Safety, Health and Environmental Affairs. (no significant pay rise at the time) However, I still think of myself as a safety man, as that is my principal responsibility - accident (ofany sort)prevention - and I really do think (this will upset a LOT of you) that health and environment are just subsets of our basic brief - Protect our fellow man in the most cost-efficient way possible (and lobby for bigger payrises for all our fellow professionals) Anyway, (this will upset the rest of you) health and environment are SO much easier to handle than safety. Discuss Merv Newman