Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2003 20:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Fitzpatrick We all know that training is only one element towards the competence of an individual, but exactly what training certification should an electrician hold? Is it City & Guilds / NVQ or a higher certificate such as an HNC? I know extra certification is needed for work on high voltage but i would be grateful if any of you could tell me what certification is acceptable for works such as installing temporary electrics on construction sites, working on live panels and testing / commissioning bus-bars etc. I seem to come across numerous electricians mates who state they are only installing casings ect. but when i eventually manage to find a few sparks who state they are trained electricians and request certification from them are shocked (no pun intended).
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2003 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Cook Steve, The Current (no pun intended either), Generally accepted qualification for a 'qualified electrican' is city and guilds 2360 parts 1 and 2, newly qualified sparks will have probably taken a series of NVQ`s to get to a simelar standard. The next qualification following parts 1 and 2 is the 'C' course and this is generally known as a technician grade. The best people to contact would be the NICEIC who will give you loads more info and advise you what to look for in your electricians and what questions to ask them. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2003 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton For electrical installations we always insist on qualification to the IEE 16th Edition Wiring Regulations. If the contractor is not qualified to this then they are allowed to work but only under the supervision of our own in house electrician who is qualified to this standard. Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson What about when you have a new equipment installation, e.g. a new engineering workshop with lathes etc. Who do you get to certify the electrical safety as being safe? Do you go for this Part C level?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2003 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson NICEIC mate and nothing else, CORGI for gas, ask to see current up to date certificate and number. Ther are loads of accreditaion agencies for all types of 'trades' and it is best to get that.