Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2003 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan Has anyone any experience of temporary barriers to control queues? I need to introduce something to keep secondary school pupils in an orderly queue yet it must be relatively easy to store at the end of a lunch break. We are currently using tables to form a queueing line but this involves unnecessary manual handling coupled with higher than necessary maintenance on the tables which frequently get damaged when being moved. I am thinking along the lines of a bollard system with retractable webbing barriers but have no experience of such in use. Can anyone offer any advice from practical experience of these systems? Supplier details would also be useful. Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Hi Brian, There are lots of suppliers out there, just look at some of the Road/site management catologues. One supplier is RS, tel 01536 201201392 8917 for wall mounted retractable webbing strap - lenght of 3,5 metres or free standing unit lenght of webbing 2 metres 392 8901. We have been using these for a few weeks, they are not industrial strenght but should be ok for schools environment. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson B, We use something to prevent passengers walking under the wing of aircraft during the boarding / disembarking process called PIGS (Passenger Inert Guidance System)(not a wind up mate) basically a coloured plastic link chain on a stand with weels which is rolled out and the chain deployed and rolled back up when complete. Same principle as an electrical roll extension lead on wheels! Email me and I will give the contact details mate.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor - but do a risk assessment including what the kids might do with the barrier. For instance, you can readily release many of the retractable strap type and send the thing flying through the air to hit someone at the other end.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2003 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Knagg On a lighter note, I have always found the electric fence we use on the farm very effective in maintaining an 'orderly queue'. The question is, is this a barrier issue or a discipline issue?