Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2003 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steven Mills
I have been asked by one of my colleagues why we don't have a company policy regarding gas safety yet we have one for electrical safety.

Am I correct in thinking that a gas safety policy would consist of the following:

1) Annual maintenance of our gas appliances (eg. boilers) by a CORGI registered contractor.

2) Gas safety certificate issued by contractor annually and kept on site.

If this is the case do I really need to include it in our H&S Policy and Procedures Manual.

Regards,
Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2003 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) is what you need to cover al the facilities on site including lifts, Hoists, jacks, slings, FLT, Vent systems, pressure systems, Gas, Leccy, water, legionella, waste management, etc etc etc the list is endless mate.

It all depends on what industry you are in also whether you are the tennant or landlord as well will have some bearing on who is responsible for what.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2003 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steven Mills
I work for a housing association so we are the tenant within most of our 16 offices although we have varying levels of responsibility according to the individual building leases.

We are landlord to our tenants with varying levels of responsibility. We provide shared ownership, sheltered and supported housing.

My colleague who raised this issue is involved in supported and sheltered housing and I know we have a responsibility for all common areas (boiler room included) but do we need a procedure outlining our PPM?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2003 21:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
It's worth having something in writing whether called a policy, procedure, generic risk assesment or whatever. In addition to the points you mention, you will need to consider whether any other forms of gas are used for the work of the employer including the storage and use of LPG - which can be a serious issue in some forms of housing premises.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2003 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Miriam
Steven, CORGI (Council of Registered Gas Installers) Tel: 0870 516 8111 may also be able to give you advice.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2003 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Strong
Steven,as others have mentioned planned maintenance does form part of your Gas safety procedures, however I think you are quite right to have a policy highlighting what your firm is doing, for example if your gas fails or if there is an explosion etc. I realise some would say this should form par of your contingency plans, I would say call it what you like but write it down!!
If you get a visit by a CORGI inspector he/she may well as to see these plans.
If you wold like to see an example you can email me on Lozbjh@aol.com

Tony